Tuesday, April 7, 2020

CT-Scan


Annually, my pulmonologist insists I have a CT-Scan of my lungs. I quit smoking 14 years ago, have COPD and now full blown emphysema. The scan is to check for lung cancer and the medical protocol is to check annually for 15 years after quitting smoking.  I smoked 4 packs a day for 44 years, with one period of abstention for 7 years.


I fully expected the scan to be canceled, but no, they reminded me of the date and said the test was on.  So, scheduled at 8:05 am on Monday, I showed up 20 minutes early.

The building had a waiting line of several people. The floor was marked for 6-foot intervals to keep us spaced properly. Two checkpoints were staffed. One person took my temperature (96.8 degrees), the other checked I had an appointment to be in the building and asked several questions about possible exposure to Covid-19 via travel, fraternization, and whatnot. I passed!


I advanced to the elevator and descended to the radiology department. They checked me in and I waited for 20 minutes for the 5-minute scan. Of course I wore an N-95 face mask in my apartment building exiting to the car in the garage. Then again I donned the mask for the medical facility.


The scan was over in mere minutes, and I traipsed back to the car rubbing hand sanitizer on my hands before returning to public spaces.


Back in the car, the commute home was quick. Light traffic, although I thought it much more heavy than it should have been. Surely all those people are not in sensitive jobs? I will say some of the traffic ended up at my medical facility, but, what about the others?


Mask back on, I exited the car in the garage and made my way back to the apartment via the elevator and hallways. Home safe and sound. Mask doffed. Computer beckoned me to write this account.

I keep thinking that our grandkids should be taking photos of what’s going on right now and writing a daily journal. Decades later they will have their own personal account of a pandemic. This surely is my first time. I find it fascinating to be living history that will be in the books long after I’m gone.


So, I await the results of the scan. I’m not the least bit worried. After all, if I survive the pandemic, the cancer should be easy peasy!


April 7, 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment