Saturday, April 4, 2020

Viral Journal


I need a haircut. Do you?


The thought: how long before haircuts on a regular schedule are available?  Probably at least a month away, maybe longer.


I recall the early 70’s. I was 30. Hair styles were long. I let my hair grow for several reasons. First, I was then working on an urban university campus. Second, I was commuting by train and walking for a total of 4 hours per day (roundtrip). The cost was high and I saved pennies wherever I could. Third, I wanted to play around with my hairstyle and appearance a bit.


The result surprised me. First, my hair, although light as a feather and subject to any wind puff, grew long and a bit wavy. It flipped up in the back a little. I pushed the hair back on the sides as often as possible. It was not a bad look, and it certainly was more controlled than student hairstyles!  


In the summer, the style was hot on the neck. And the face. Eventually I trimmed it back until it was more of a Princeton cut. Still is. As much as I like that look, it needs to be kept in trim to be effective.


I’m discovering abilities of my electric razor I haven’t used. For one I can trim my sideburns and hair around the ears. I haven’t trimmed the back yet, although that is likely to be on my list within two weeks. Rocky refuses to help me; he claims his wife of long ago asked for the same help and she was forever angry with him for messing it up. He will not attempt it again! He is scarred.


Other than hair are the toenails. I’ve been ordered to never trim my own nails. The last two times resulted in slashed toes and lots of blood. However, I can’t very well visit a podiatrist to have them trimmed at a time of a pandemic. Such seems wasteful and petty at this time.


Well, there are more of these personal care issues we face in a locked down society. Knowing we can’t do much about them at this point is one thing to grasp. Letting it go so we can adapt to more important things is another matter to grasp.


Worth thinking about in the meanwhile.


Be safe. Be at peace. We are in this together.


April 4, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment