Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Facebook Racism


Complaining about Chicago shootings and related deaths, racism seeps out from white America.

Hubris blinds the commenters to their own racism. It is not a ‘card’ to play in a debate. It is the real world of admitting that you feel black people have created their own situation in which shootings and lawlessness prosper.

Racists don't understand that the situation Blacks live in is the proof of the lack of opportunity and equality preponderant in our society. That is what causes the neighborhoods of despair. It is not black, brown or white. It is racism that separates people from people.


Guns. They exist in plenty in America. One for every one of us. Ridiculous. That is not sport. That isn’t protection. That’s war footing. In such an environment can peace be expected? I think not. Ponder that awhile and come up with another answer. I cannot. I’ve tried.


Our nation must own our history, the good and the bad. We are not innocent babes. We know the history. And we must fix it. If we don’t, we will continually re-live the horrors we have created.


I understand we did not intentionally create this story. But it emerged anyway, didn’t it? Saying so is not waving the ‘race card.’ It is a sobering thought that we are part of the problem. If we honestly want to solve the problem, then let’s get on with it.


We have made opportunity available to underprivileged people. But that doesn’t mean the opportunity will be embraced or taken up. Skills are required to do that. If missing, the opportunity is wasted.


If we stop reacting to the term ‘racist or racism,’ we may be able to do something productive about the problem. I don’t think of myself as a racist but I catch myself with very subtle forms of it when I least expect it. Do you? That doesn’t make us a bad person; it makes us conscious of our faults so we can move on to better.


All I’m asking is we give this a chance to change history for the better. Please?


I’m begging our nation to stand up and take responsibility. It is the right thing to do.

And the time is now.


July 8, 2020




No comments:

Post a Comment