Friday, July 31, 2020

Feeling. COVID?


Recent mood shifts have accelerated. Impatience has been a personal hallmark of mine for a lifetime. Attention to detail mostly a constant. Slip ups with details unnerve me. Escalating irritation with lack of progress in any venue or issue is cause for anger.

Anger spills out of frustration and impatience. Those nearby see it. I am powerless to contain the disturbance. I lash out in word. Vocabulary instantly blooms into ugly. Spent, I sit back and stew but calmly.

Technical glitches instantly create helplessness. Feeling of incompetence looms like a geyser. Whether it is TV, cable connection, Wi-Fi, computer, Facebook, email or internet browser, if it works, I’m OK; calm. If it doesn’t function well, I’m instantly in a stew.

Politics nauseates me these days. Facebook is full of misinformation and skewing. Propaganda spawns like maggots. News becomes as bad as Facebook. Learning to mute objectionable pieces, but often not quick enough. Trigger finger is a new malady for me.

Aging has many symptoms. Aching joints, muscles and back. Painful walking. Shifting posture accompanying movement. And pain. Expected and accommodated, but it still irritates. Mood is colored by this. And the spirit tires.

Advertising on TV is constant, maybe 50% or more of all TV time? When did this happen? Or is this my imagination? Anyway, what is advertised is no longer needed by me. Luxury cars are not in my future. Vacations are not in my future, either. At least, not vacations involving hiking, swimming, zip lining or even basking on a beach. I’d prefer southwestern United States, sitting in or driving my car through beloved landscapes. Smelling the desert air and feeling the balm of its dry air. Seeing mountains again and vast, empty spaces. Other than that, there are no European cobbled streets in my future. Too wobbly and uneven for my aching frame.

These images conclude that the future now has limits for me, for us. Sometimes this is a startling realization. On the other hand it doesn’t startle because other interests have replaced them. I get more out of reading, or a movie, or a smell, a whiff of breeze, or something else ignored when younger. It is the little thing that attracts my attention these days.

Keeping my mind busy and writing is a tonic. Maybe that’s why anger is quick and molten when the keyboard freezes or the computer refuses to follow orders. My orders!

So, all of this is to say I am not the most pleasant person to be around right now. Maybe this is COVID? Maybe not. Probably aging.

Rocky’s Parkinson’s on top of his surviving a debilitating cancer surgery (twice) and his diabetes, makes him more dependent on me. I’m not always the best person for that job given my own issues. But we are all we have. More adaptation ahead.

Yes. More adaptation. Ahead. Today. And tomorrow.
uly 31, 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment