Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Birthday Thoughts


Today I am 70! I can’t say it feels weird. Nor can I say it is unremarkable. It just feels natural. How about that?

Most of my life I dreaded the decade birthdays – 30, 40, 50 – so for some odd reason I lived them beforehand by dreading the birthdays ending in 9! So 29 became a year of mourning for the 20’s, 39 for the dread of 40, and so on. For some reason this ‘game’ ended in my 50’s. Maybe I just accepted the reality of the years ticking off inevitably?

At any rate I still felt my 69th year was actually a rehearsal of 70 and I was not shocked to finally reach this milepost. 70 is not so bad. No year really is bad for that matter. I do not fear dying and my family has mostly lived long and fruitful lives. My mother is still alive; 99 years old and will be 100 in February 2014. I have every expectation she will hit that mark!

Dad died ‘early’ at 88; most of his male kin lived well into their 90’s even without modern medical miracles of today’s standard. My mother’s family has lived long as well; she has a sister 102 and nearing 103; last year she lost a 97 year old sister; her brother died at 95 several years ago and the youngest of her siblings is now 91. Her dad and mom both lived past 94. So good genes all around.

My life has been a little more complicated than theirs. I smoked to excess against all precautions. I also abused alcohol for a while as well. Both addictions are under control and no longer plague my waking hours. Who knows, however, the damage they did to my body and its projected longevity.  Oddly I don’t mind thinking about this. It would be unnatural for me to dwell on it in any case. It just doesn’t matter.

What does matter is doing well with the days and hours with us now and just ahead. Am I living them well? Is there purpose and value in each day? I think I can honestly say yes to those questions. I feel good with my life as it has unfolded. I feel purposeful. There is a reason to awake each day and it wouldn’t be the end of anyone’s world if I failed to awake one day. It would be just another happening in the universe’s spin through space.

What matters the most is how I feel about myself and my relationships with others. On that score I feel good. Not perfect. Good. And that’s OK. We win some and we lose some. I can try to be liked by everyone but most likely I’ll lose some part of myself in doing that. So I put up with unhappy and miserable people. They are in their own world of hurt and won’t let others inside.

As I contemplate seven decades of life I am growing to realize finally that happiness is not a constant. There is always struggle. It is the struggle that makes other matters have value. They have come into my life with effort. Earned. The best I can do is live the simple formula Rocky found on the internet the other day:

Add laughter to life; multiply by love; subtract hate as best you can; and that yields happiness.  Not a bad formula. Hard to live up to but well worth the effort.

Have a happy life, day and year!

June 18, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment