Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Being a Guest

As I walk into the local Walgreen’s or grocery store, I expect to wear a face mask. This is a pandemic we are living in and I wear a mask to protect myself. I also wear a mask to protect others. I do not know if I have symptoms of COVID. I might. I doubt it. But I don’t want to unknowingly spread the disease. That would make the pandemic worse.

I protect my own health not just for me. I do so to protect Rocky. His health is more fragile than mine, but we both have underlying health concerns that would create a nightmare were we to get COVID. There are others we are close to we wish to protect as well.

So, going into public spaces is the topic here. A public accommodation – stores, shops, restaurants, lodging sites and offices, are privately owned and operated. They invite us into their space to do business with them. While there, we are their guest. They are responsible for our well-being and hold legal liability for us.

That relationship is in control of our being present in their space. We are the guest. That requires us to abide by the rules and regulations that help the host to protect us. We do not have control over that.

When a host requires a mask – to protect you and others, and to protect others from you – they have the legal right to do so. You have the right to leave rather than do as they request. That’s it. You have no other option.

You are free to live your life and go maskless, but that applies to your own space and the great outdoors. If others are present and near, you must comply with government regulations to protect public health standards in the great outdoors. The more isolated you are the freer you are to go maskless.

Being an American does not give you the right to freely take away the rights of others. The opposite is true: you have the obligation, the duty, to protect the community of others as you expect them to do so for your benefit.

Wear the mask if you are to be near others. Don’t want to wear a mask? Don’t. In isolation you have the freedom you desire. Out of isolation the needs of others trump your rights.

Just wear the mask until the pandemic is over.

Thank you!

October 27, 2020

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment