Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Zoom Life

Before COVID-19 I drove 250 miles per week, sometimes much more. I frequently met SCORE clients in regional libraries, Panera’s and Starbucks. We had SCORE committee meetings and chapter meetings regularly. Some were scheduled all over the six-county region to equalize the commute for mentors living in those areas.

In COVID time Zoom replaced all that travel. I’m driving 15 miles per week now, mostly to Walgreens, McDonalds or the grocery store. The savings in gas alone is remarkable. Other savings accrue as well in not paying tolls, parking fees or fewer oil changes. Even insurance is cheaper.

Time is also saved – dressing for meetings, preparing files and papers, driving to the meeting location (being early so as not to be late!), and then the return from the meeting. All that to and fro saves at least an hour, most likely two. Also, the wardrobe. I now have a good working collection of shirts that look good on Zoom. Still wear sweatpants or shorts while on camera! Laundry is simple. Dry cleaning is non-existent.

Because of these savings my productivity has 'zoomed.' My budget is much healthier. I even bought a new large computer monitor to ease eyestrain. Now I have to reorganize the workstation for streamlined operations.

Zoom took getting used to. Now, however, it is a great tool used several times each day. Even church and community events are held over Zoom and that keeps us in contact and relationships.

After COVID I wonder what past behavior will come back. I think I will continue Zooming because it saves so much energy, effort, time and money. So far the clients have not complained. The content of our meetings is the central value. On that we are focused even more thanks to Zoom.

October 21, 2020

 

No comments:

Post a Comment