Friday, October 30, 2020

Reaction to New

A few year back we didn’t need the van so traded it for a used sedan. The goal was to reduce monthly payments and maintenance costs. The car offered was a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

The first time I drove this car was exhilarating. It was quiet. Comfortable. Well equipped. And powerful. Powerful? An electric? Yes. The torque was stunning. Green lights never seemed so exciting or freeing. The get up and go was amazing. Instant. Thrown back in the seat, I was half a block away before the guy behind me even started into the intersection! I had not expected this.

On wet or snowy pavement, I needed to exercise more caution. Anti-skid feature kept the drive wheels from spinning, but still, I had to learn to drive without the ‘stuttering’ starts.

The car was quiet at idle and slower speeds. When accelerating above 30 miles per hour the gas engine kicked in. In fact, the engine cycled on and off whenever the battery needed recharging. Mileage overall in that car was 38+.

As the odometer crept into the 70,000+ range, I worried about the life of the batteries and how much it would cost to replace them. That worry and warranty mandated maintenance led me to trade the car. Alas it was for a non-hybrid. Although the new car had one feature better than the Sonata, the performance of the Elantra GT was much less than the Sonata.

The one poor feature of the Sonata: the front passenger seat was positioned low. It was hard to get into and out of, especially for senior citizens. Ever since that car we have graduated to vehicles with higher seats to make entry and exit easier. Alas, the Sonata remains out of our reach for that reason unless they raise the seats and provide electric seat adjustments.

So. I experienced the new – hybrid cars. For those who have not driven this type of car, you are in for excitement. At last you will know what rapid acceleration is all about and why young guys like horsepower. Electric torque surpasses gas engines in this department.  

Other new things that exceeded my expectations: modern cell phones that receive my emails, internet connections and provide free long distance calling. I never knew what the I-phone was all about. I have the lesser phone but remain thrilled with its capabilities. I use many of its features and am still amazed. totally connected while away from home and the computer.

Lap top computers have been on my desk for a lot of years, now. And on my lap as well when portable use is required. Its features still enthrall me although I am stumped by many of its antics. Good thing there are young people around to rescue me from befuddlement.

As we navigate COVID distancing and remote operations, connectivity has grown. We literally communicate with every corner of the globe without so much as a thought. This blog is read throughout the globe each day. I didn’t plan that. I still don’t; although I dared to address Vlad Putin a few times, just in case he’s reading! Such a bully.

The new is unfamiliar for only a moment. We adapt quickly. We learn to use the benefits and move on with our lives. I do not lament the old and replaced technology. It didn’t understand intuitive.

October 30, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment