Thursday, October 15, 2020

National Coming Out Day

Last Sunday was the day set aside each year for people to admit publicly that their sexual orientation is different from the norm. My granddaughter announced to the world she was bi-sexual. In doing so, she shared her story. She is young; a sophomore in college.

Her story retells the growing awareness of her sexual identity. From tiny glimmers of wondering to clear thinking of possibilities. Then reading. Searching for information. Observing others her age in the throes of growing understanding of gender issues. Emerging maturity. Clarity coming from mists and fogs.

Finally, it is clear, or at least much clearer than before. An identity at last!

My journey began similarly but the times were clouded in public ignorance and discrimination. Self-hatred was common in those days. Lack of information, too. Over a prolonged time span I came to my own awareness of gender identity. I finally admitted it to myself at 37. By then I was married with two children. A lot more of my journey lay ahead.

Today America is hip to gender orientation issues. We support and educate one another. We feel and love those on journey. It is not easy. We aim to make it easier.

I am proud of my granddaughter. She is mature beyond her years and wise in her disposition. She will do well on her journey. Hopefully much less tumultuous than so many others.

Welcome to the out world, Lindsay. Thank you for your courage and clear thinking. You will do well with the challenges in the years ahead. I bet your gifts will be shared with others and ease their journeys as well.

October 15, 2020

  

No comments:

Post a Comment