Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Andy Rooney Syndrome

For years I watched “60 Minutes” on CBS Sunday evenings. If the news depressed or rankled at least I knew the icing on the cupcake was the commentary by Andy Rooney at the end of the broadcast.

I was saddened to view Mr. Rooney’s 1097th broadcast on 60 Minutes three weeks ago as Andy signed off for the last time. He is 92 years old and still a clear writer and commentator.

Now we learn he is very ill in hospital suffering from a complication from minor surgery. We pray he recovers soon and continues his wise presence among us for many more years, even if we no longer hear new essays from him on air.

Andy Rooney. His eyebrows. His somber face. Stolid. Serious. His voice: raspy, with minor tones of whine, a bouquet of sage, and a nose for tang.

Andy asked questions with few answers. He posed points to wonder and for ponder. He allowed us to pause and consider ideas. Some funny. Some pointedly poignant. Others hilarious.

I often ‘hear’ Andy’s voice in my mind. If a simple declarative sentence pops to mind on a news story, I re-voice it as though it came from Andy. Somehow it makes it seem more true, or begs for more analysis! A beginning smirk comes to my face as I hear Andy Rooney’s voice. I’m preparing for delight and a serious point to take with me to bed before going to sleep.

Like the really great commentators of our times, Andy rarely told us what to think. But he challenged us to think farther because the simple was often not the final thought. We continue to need his deft reminder to think seriously on current events and culture.  And not to take ourselves too seriously!

Get well Andy Rooney. Get well!

October 26, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment