Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloweens

I don’t remember a Trick or Treat of my California years. Our family moved to New England on my 11th birthday so there are memories of California, just not Halloween.

In Massachusetts sure. I was in 6th grade and a neighbor family helped me with my costume; a king’s robe and headdress from the Orient. We giddily dressed for the big day, arrived at school and took part in a costume parade for each other, the teachers and for the few parents who came to witness the spectacle. I remember feeling a part of something, of having fun, of getting out of my own skin. This was a pretend moment that has stuck with me. It is a lasting image of Halloween. Odd I think.

I remember more New England Halloweens, maybe because those were my early encounters with chilling weather, snow storms and becoming more aware of life beyond the family. I recall trick ‘n treating in dark and damp Halloweens, scuffling through fallen leaves or some years scuffling through small snow drifts or wet rain with ‘skiddy’ leaves.

By the time we moved to New York I was past the age of Halloween. Now it was door bells ringing and young kids on the doorstep peering in the door and hoping for a treat that out shined the last house.

Then, many years of no Halloween memories, not until married and having kids of our own. Our first house was on an Illinois residential street with overarching maple and walnut trees. Spooky shadows, darkness shrouding the small bands of kids roaming the neighborhood on the prowl for candy and oohs and aahs from admirers of their clever disguises. So much energy to be different than everyday. So much fun to traipse to so many houses and actually get a handout of candy! Who thought up this magical tradition?

And then the memories are of our kids taking up the tradition, followed by the grandkids avidly taking on this ‘new’ tradition.

In all I have experienced 68 Halloweens and I don’t remember very many. I remember my own excitement as a general feeling, which then moved on to the excitement for my children and their growing memories. But I really don’t attach a lot of meaning to this odd holiday tradition. I wonder why that is?

Now I think of the very young trick ‘n treaters in their cute costumes tentatively knocking on the door. And I imagine elders who look forward to seeing these young neighbors venturing out but also concerned that their treats won’t measure up to those offered elsewhere, or if older tricksters will be out to do mischief.

I try to think what the holiday originally meant. All Hallowed Eve of All Saints Day. Back in medieval times, no doubt. Back 2000 years when we honored the dead in fear of retribution if we didn’t? Seeking spiritual and ghostly representatives to protect us? Was that it? What part did this have with the church? Not much really.

Halloween was a pagan thing but it stuck in popular culture. So much so that Pope Gregory III in the eighth century designated November 1 as All Saints’ Day. It was a day to honor all saints and martyrs. The eve of All Saints Day retained the tradition of costumes and visiting others in disguise.

Maybe it’s the disguise that captures the imagination? The chance to be something you are not. Maybe we do this to try on a different personality, to see how it might feel? Perhaps I’m reading too much into this. Maybe it’s just a fun thing to do.

However you observe Halloween this year, enjoy it and be safe!

October 31, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment