Sunday, October 16, 2011

Thinking in Plain Sight

I need to share something with you. It’s a pretty basic admission.  Drum roll please; here it is: I am not as sure of my statements as they may appear. In fact, I think out loud a lot. It helps try out ideas, see how they fit with other ideas, and improve a conclusion. Also, I remain open to consider new data as they arise.

There. I said it. I will do my best not to be a know-it-all. I see this blog as a means to demonstrate open thinking so others will join in, share their doubts and help make conclusions that don’t miss an important point.

To that end a comment feature is provided at the end of each post. Use it. Engage me or others in dialogue. Suggest new ground to cover in future blogs. I’d appreciate knowing there are others in the world who aren’t sure of their thoughts, too. I think this is a really honest method to pursue.

Going back to why I am writing this blog in the first place: I am frustrated by contentious statements in the public media. They are arrogant, opinionated, manipulative and not factual. As much as that bothers me, I felt it healthier if I didn’t complain but, rather, countered the mindless chatter with open thinking that better sheds light on the issues. Together I think we can do this as long as we remain respectfully civil. Let’s raise the quality of public discourse by way of this blog. OK?

Now let’s continue a discussion that matters.

Because this blog is coming out on a Sunday, I want to talk a little about religion. I’ve been active in church life for most of my life. Even spent a year in seminary and used that experience to expand my thinking for a long time after. I have sung in choirs and community choruses for over 40 years, and even now sing liturgy at my Lutheran church.

At my age I’ve been through many critical spiritual adventures. My journey has been long, but in matters of religion it is meant to be life-long. I accept that. The journey is definitely continuing. Here’s an idea where I am in that journey:

  • I feel I have a good relationship with God
  • I sense a spiritual depth in my life and remain open to wonder
  • I have faith that God is loving and accepting; he is not vengeful
  • I feel no guilt about my doubts regarding key dogma of Christian life
  • I was raised in a Christian family; Christian culture is very much a part of me
  • But I do not believe in all the dogma or biblical interpretations
  • I accept the Christ story as a guide for my life, but I do not believe the divinity of Christ. I’m not sure what that means, but I have more journey left!
  • My mind is open about the history of mankind as portrayed in the Old Testament. The New Testament is a great means of telling the Christ Story and sharing its meaning; however, I accept the New Testament as a huge allegory about Man’s struggle to learn how to live well with others and do good in the world
  • I do not extend to countless modern issues an emphatic directive from religion on how governments make decisions and govern their people; politicians do that and claim unearned authority to make those pronouncements; they are phony
This is my personal jumping off point in both understanding my spiritual relationship with the world and understanding issues that matter. And making decisions on those issues. I do not let an institution tell me how to understand and conclude how to live with any specific set of issues.  This includes abortion, women’s rights, gay rights, supporting scientific methods in medical research and application of the miraculous discoveries, to name just a few.

I do not think God is actively judging me or anyone else for honestly trying to understand life’s complexities. I doubt he will punish anyone for their poor reasoning or decision making. Likewise I doubt he will punish me based on my journey at any given moment.

I certainly do not wish to judge any other religion, sect or denomination. That’s personal to the other person. Just like my religious beliefs are personal to me. I will try not to press my beliefs on others; I request they return the favor! This goes for Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, etc.

With that in mind: religion is not the base upon whish government should decide an issue. Right and wrong do not rely solely on religious values. So please, live your life based on your religion, but leave me out of it. I won’t bother you with mine.

For example, I’d really appreciate it if the churches would stay out of abortion legislation. Don’t have an abortion if you don’t support it; but leave that decision for others. You may talk about your position in the hope of attempting to draw followers to your values, just not support for your legislative agenda.

Same is true for Gay rights. Love is love. Celebrate it. If you believe in a Biblical gay prohibition (it doesn’t exist anywhere in the Bible, but you are free to believe in your own myths) please let others pursue their life, liberty and happiness in their own way provided it does no harm to anyone else.

We will pursue more issues related to this blog at a later date. For now I thought it important to establish this guidepost in my writings.

Thanks for listening!

October 16, 2011  


No comments:

Post a Comment