Monday, February 13, 2012

Ideas and their Intersections


Every now and then a thought surfaces. It may linger there only for a moment. Or it may last a while, or pop up tantalizingly from time to time. It may even become delicious…you know, the evocative idea that grows and barges into your life…exposing everything before and after it to a bright light of rationality. Suddenly things make more sense. They hang together. A good moment.

Good enough to share!

I’ve been reading Thomas Friedman’s The World is Flat published in 2005 and updated in 2006 and 2007. I’m still reading it. Two thirds finished and savoring each page. Because each page holds such good material. Rational. Mature. Positive. Constructive. Accurate observation backed by research. Data and wisdom research.

The title is engaging and puzzling; but in time it makes sense. Here’s the essence of what Friedman says: technology has flattened the world economic stage; we have talent and time and action to sell to those interested and in need of acquiring what we have. We get paid for that only if we are unique, in the right place at the right time. Many others are doing the same. They compete with us. Me. You.

If Friedman is right, and I think he is, we really need to wake up to the simple facts. Here are some of them:
  • USA has been innovative and inventive for more than a century; we led the world with this brilliance
  • Our national spirit supported individuals, education and innovation
  • Success has worn thin our sense of these key traits. Selfish does not equate with individualism. Education is about future unfolding, not explaining the past or learning old, boring skills. Innovation comes from inner brilliance, clear thinking and unique perspectives.
  • Current education does not provide support for the latter
  • We need math and science cross connected with art and music and heart
  • We need competition; it challenges the individual
  • Our nation needs challenge; it chases away contentment and laziness
  • If you won’t do it, there are billions of people elsewhere on the planet who will because they want what you have had, and will work for it
  • If you don’t work for it, you will lose it
  • Got the lesson plan now?
I was at an auto dealer waiting for my car to be serviced. Routine. Waiting room contained a flat screen TV murmuring the news and weather, and music, and ads and noise to the surroundings. Young man endlessly scanning the content of his I Phone. Smell of new rubber of tire display. Me reading the Friedman book.

Situation made me ask the young man: are you under 30? yes. Are you done with schooling? yes. What schooling was that? Double major, university, Valparaiso, in chemistry and economics. Did you find a job? No, I was going for a medical degree! Changed my mind, and then couldn’t find a job. What did you do? Worked for a construction team, small; we flipped houses – bought low, repaired and resold for much higher price – and that did me OK until I started to do it myself. How’s it going? Fine; just completed my real estate training and got my license. Is this what you want to do for your career? No, but it pays the bills. I buy destroyed properties, trashed, really; bring them back my way; fully for good living in it; then sell at reasonable, highly profitable price; I do my own rehab work but hire others to help. I make the money, now. Is this what you want to keep doing? no. What will you do then? Don’t know.

I suggested a combination of all of his experience but leading to an objective that would build on his curiosities and passions. Such as re-using housing stock in new ways to support socially needed function; maybe alternative elder housing with intended intersection with single parent homes; all affordable; each household positioned to help each other to succeed with their lives. Other combinations of communal cooperation might develop? He pondered that, looked at me; searched my eyes. He was intent.

Was he thinking about old things in a new way? Or did he merely think I was nuts?

Who can possibly tell? Time will sort those things out. I hope he saw himself differently. I hope he walked away with a sense of new possibility. Future. Thomas Friedman’s ideas at work!

Now to find another person to talk with. I’ll share with you what I learn.

February 13, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment