Saturday, May 19, 2012

Intersections

How do we meet one another? In everyday life and at the extraordinary moments? Are we alert? Or are we texting, sleepwalking, or merely inattentive?  

With sure step we propel forward to do the work of our day. We commute to the office, or we work from home, or line up the errands of retired life. In any case there is an order to the day. We know what we are about that day or this. There is purpose. 

Along the way, what happens? We buy a cup of coffee; hot to handle; sugar and cream added just right; lid precariously scrunched to not leak; balanced with all the other stuff we carry. Then onward we trudge to work. 

We shuffle along the sidewalk after alighting the train; we push through the revolving door of our building. Then the elevators and jostle of flesh with the other riders. A soft ting and the car stops, doors bumpity open and some of the people exit, including me. Shuffle down the corridor to my door and office suite. In at last! Now to the desk. 

Along the way I’ve met the coffee vendor, the news vendor, other commuters, train conductor, more commuters, pedestrians from the station to the office building; and now a more select group of commuters as they become my colleagues at work. 

More people are met. The receptionist, office mate, boss, department secretary, oops pardon me – the executive assistant. Clients over the phone. Company colleagues in other cities over email. A meeting in the conference room; a staff meeting later in the same space. More clients with questions and needs to fill. 

Then the reverse commute. The weather fine this day so no worries of cold or damp or wind. Maybe a little too much sun, but lots of fresh air. A pleasure commute today! And finally to the destination rail depot, then the walk to the garage to find my car and mush my way out through traffic to the street, and haltingly then home. My driveway and garage. Open the door and greet the dog, the kids and the spouse. They’re ready for supper. I’m ready for bed but after a few hugs. More people with needs. Mine, too. 

The intersections of one day. And how much detail has this recounting missed? How much living did I skip over? A lifetime’s worth, in each intersection. The career preparation, the career professional depth, the personal knowledge of each co worker and client contact. So very much in each contact. Each a person. Each a story. Each a chapter to pursue in the book of just this week’s life journey. 

Recall this quote I included in this blog a week or so ago:

            “Before you judge my life, my past or my character…
            Walk in my shoes, walk the path I have traveled;
            Live my sorrow, my doubts, my fear, my pain and my laughter…
            Remember: Everyone has a story.
 When you’ve lived my life then you can judge me.”
                                                            Anonymous 

It is enriches us to think on this quotation. It bolsters our sense of self and growth and journey; our progress on the path we have chosen. It also strengthens the worth of others as they, like us, strive against so many odds to make their journey a good one. We are not alone in our travels or efforts; neither are the others on their treks through life. 

Before I close this post, take this thought and ponder it. The America’s Edge organization shared this factoid with me minutes ago. I think it is a challenge for our future but also a reminder of where we have come from:

28 percent of high school students do not graduate on time with a high school diploma, yet between 2008 and 2018, half of all new jobs nationwide created will require some type of formal education beyond high school. Proven investments in children, such as early learning and career academy programs, are critical in ensuring that we develop the necessary skills employers need.
                                                       --Editorial Projects in Education. (2011)

Sobering. We have done much. Each of us and with the help of so many others. We have ours to do with our significant others as well. And yet the rest of our national family needs to attend to their journey as well.  

How can we help make the best happen?

May 19, 2012














No comments:

Post a Comment