Sunday, May 13, 2012

Leadership Sombody

Today’s thought is:
            I always wondered why somebody didn’t
            Do something about that;
            Then I realized I am somebody! 

This came from the Internet, and yes I don’t know who wrote it! Seems the Internet is just crammed with goodies that either no one wants to take credit for, or those who offer them up forget to give credit to the author. Either way, good things are given us to ponder.

I don’t scan the ‘net for these items. My partner Rocky does. Those of you who know Rocky understand! He wanders through the email, Facebook and Internet sites seeking words of wisdom. What catches his fancy he shares with me. If I fancy them I save them for later use. And thus the source of the Internet quotations I use in the blog. Often these quotes strike me just right; and Pow! A blog posting is born.

Today’s thought is reminiscent of a quote I used the other day from President Obama, something to do with “…we are the change we have been waiting for.” If you are as old as me, “Let George do it” was a saying that left the work or task to someone else.

But those tasks have not been done of late. They are accumulating. They still need to be done. Who will do them? When will they be accomplished? And what will happen if no one steps forward? 

It does not take rocket science to be a leader. It takes gumption and courage. It also takes humility. Some will say it takes ego. I think not. Ego placed first means the leader thinks he or she is hot stuff and the hero of the day. Actually, most people don’t like egotists, and that is what a hero is who focuses internally. No, we need true heroes, those we admire precisely because they are not self centered. They are the ones who are focused on the needs of the group, the community, whatever that is larger than him or her.

Leaders see needs. They weigh the value of those needs. They select which to fight for. And then encourage others to work together to fill the needs. It takes selflessness to get things done in a group. If hierarchy enters into the picture, the hopes of getting the work done is soon dashed.

No, leaders see needs, help others see them similarly, and encourage group work to fill the needs; for the common good of the group, neighborhood, firm, industry or community. It takes big picture thinking with small picture detail. It takes absence of ego; true humility. And the courage to get others fired up to take action. Courage is needed because many efforts fail. But each failure teaches us why it failed so success can emerge eventually.

Courage. Humility. Caring about something bigger than self. Willingness to work with others to achieve success. This is what being somebody is all about.

More about courage: courage does not seek personal reward; courage seeks group results; courage seeks benefits for others. Courage is risking one’s self to make gains for others. I think these are the characteristics which removes ego from the equation. Removing ego allows humility as well.

Writing a blog takes courage and humility. Why? Because it exposes inner feelings and thoughts for others to see, poke at or react to. Hopefully the reactions are positive. But if they are not and we remain civil in our reactions, we can learn much from each other.

This exposing of inner thoughts and understandings of broader issues is important. It is how a society learns about itself and why and how issues are viewed differently by different people. It takes courage to lay out thoughts so they can be discussed and better understood. If we enter this exchange with the purpose to demean we have lost the opportunity to learn. And we have probably shut down many others from learning as well. 

Writing this blog gives me many opportunities to screw up. At least it is honest bumbling! At times my need to vent muddies the discussion. For that I apologize.

Recently I wrote a post on Pure Politics. It was my political vent, about republicans slamming President Obama. Their pure politics, and a chance to respond. Some of my readers took exception to my comments. I won’t apologize for my feelings and inner reactions; those are mine to have and to own, for good or bad! But I meant simply what I said. The American political process is grueling and mean spirited. It demeans our national spirit and discourse. It clouds logical discussion of important issues. It creates obstructions to progress. Our progress.

That’s what I am reacting to.

I think we imbue our ‘leaders’ with too much hope for progress on issues important to us. Thus the gay community thinks Obama should do more for them because he could and understands the issues. But the gay community forgets that Obama has to preside over a nation of many different beliefs, sensitivities, cultures and mood. Paying too much attention to one element loses support from so many other camps.  It shouldn’t be this way; but it is. We have a democracy, not an aristocracy, or meritocracy. We do not have a dictatorship, either. 

So flawed process is what we have. We must live with those faults and make the best of it. Hopefully it is done with civility and respect for logic and fact. Not emotion or blind allegiance to an ideology.

I will ruffle feathers. Please allow me to do so. I am not running for office. I am seeking fuller understanding of complex issues. Partner with me? Understand together? Uncover leadership opportunities and capabilities among us?

I welcome the chance to work with you and reason things out for all of our benefit. I think along the way we will discover many heroes and leaders. They and you are the somebodies we need to find. And here you are already! 

May 13, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment