Monday, May 28, 2012

Remember This!

This is Memorial Day. A special day. One in which we remember those who have gone before us and died. Usually military personnel who gave their all to follow orders they believed would save their nation, their families. Their form of government, too; democracy with a special global meaning. American democracy.

The US Constitution. The Bill of Rights. The whole nine yards.

They did a fine job then. Wonder if they would support what’s happening now, though? Their sacrifice for those who demean America by way of their warped beliefs? Their take on what democracy is, what religion is, what the Constitution is. Wow! How far has the great American ‘experiment’ strayed?

I think pretty far.

Before I go on, I will repeat for the record, I am gay. I am spiritual/religious. I was raised firmly in the Christian culture. I am a church go-er. I am involved in the life of my community. I care. I share. I help others. I am a person of value.

Now I’m going to get edgy. If that bothers you, stop reading this post immediately. I am going to speak my mind and I don’t want to insult you or anyone.  I just want to get this off my chest.  Here goes.

The Bible is an ancient book of wisdom endowed with and by millennia of hope and faith. It is a valuable resource. Not for everyone, but still a beacon of wisdom not to be taken lightly. To many it is holy writ. To others it is an early book of history. To still others it is a guide to living life through thick and thin regardless of the century or the millennium in which you find yourself.

But to billions of people the Bible is not The Book. There are many religions on the planet. So the Bible does not speak to everyone. Nor should it. They have their own symbols and holy writs that guide them. And who are we to dispute their authorities?

And in America, the Bible has special significance. We take oaths on the Bible. We take authority on justice and religious rites from the Bible. But the Bible is not The Authority in America. The US Constitution is. And the Bible is not mentioned in it.

Our elected officials take their oaths of office to support the constitution, not the Bible. In fact, the Bill of Rights defines the religious freedom, both for and from. It is secondary to the US Constitution in that regard.

Therefore, public figures including politicians who use the Bible as a wedge authority or issue in the court of public opinion are guilty of heinous and dishonest behavior.

If you believe everything in the Bible, then live your own life accordingly. Preach and nurture your family and friends in the mythology of the Bible. But keep it within your associations of friends and family.

Just keep it out of our government. And laws.

The Constitution is our guidepost for making laws and keeping them fair and just. Not the Bible. The President of the United States must follow the dictates of the Constitution, and in fact must keep the Bible out of it, by law (Bill of Rights and Supreme Court rulings). The President must work to ensure equal treatment for all people in our nation.

I support equal rights in marriage for gays and straights. The Bible does not define this adequately; it has been interpreted and misinterpreted so many times I’d be stunned to learn if the Bible says exactly what so many religious people claim it to say. The Constitution does not define marriage, either.

Marriages are of two kinds: first, religious ritual and recognition authorized by religious institutions; and second, contractual relationship established by state law and abided by in federal agencies (IRS, military, Social Security, Medicare, etc.). States don’t need the authority of the Bible to institute contractual relationships between two loving people who pledge their troth to each other. Churches do. States don’t. Same for the Federal Government.

And no, the President is not throwing out the Bible or Christianity or any other religion when he opens the contractual rights of marriage to people of same gender. He is following the authority he has sworn to uphold.

So pastors, ministers, priests and churches, conservatives, Republicans, Christians, Muslims and others: live your lives by your dictates and let others do the same. The authorities you give fidelity to are your choice; not mine nor billions of others. You are very much in the minority in time and history and legal discourse. So please live as though you know that. You are smart and able to do so. Now act in accordance with that intelligence.

I’m just saying my piece. You can believe what you want. So can I. And I cannot enforce it on you; nor can you enforce your belief on me.

So many have died to give us this freedom. Did they die in vain?

Thank you very much for listening!

May 28, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment