Thursday, October 4, 2012

Second Round


Today marks the start of year two of this blog. Where it will go anyone may guess! What my intent for this year is a bit more focused than the past year. Only time will tell if I stick with that or wander off into other neighborhoods of thought.

For now, however, I want to spend this year focusing on these life elements:
·         Commentary on jewels of thought; ideas that need their own attention
·         Pondering the meaning of big ideas, the eternal thoughts that stay by our side through generations and historical eras
·         Thinking of creative solutions to society’s common problems; this will necessarily encounter political issues from time to time; but I promise to lessen them!

Alrighty, then! There you have my mission for year 2.

Today’s topic is: health and its changing trajectory

OK. I’m 69 years old. Health issues erupt at the damnedest times at this age. Most are distractions of short term. Others have a longer valence, affecting multiple areas of daily routine.

Of late this has been leg pain, right side. Pain that winds down from the upper buttock to the thigh muscle just above the knee. Move the leg and the pain morphs into something else. Twist the hip joint and pain lessens briefly, then accelerates to a wince. Inner groin feels pulled. Throbbing pain comes and goes.

At first I visited a chiropractor. Decent results after two weeks. Then one morning I awoke with no pain! Dandy. Two or three weeks later, however, the pain returned. This time I called my doctor and, not being available, I saw one of his team members. He thought it might be a pinched nerve and ordered X-rays. Those sustained his suspicion and he ordered an MRI. The results are in and I saw him at 10 am this morning. This is what he shared with me:

Three spinal conditions are operating simultaneously:
·         Arthritic stenosis of the spinal canal
·         Herniated disk of large size
·         Marked deterioration of  3 or 4 other disks

The treatment will start with the Spine Institute located in Lombard, Illinois. There they will determine if an epidural injection would help the condition. If so the stenosis may contract some, and the herniated disk will grow smaller and cause less nerve encroachment. Eventually a surgical procedure may be suggested to lessen the symptoms.

That’s all I know for the time being but episodes of pain will continue on and off until the condition worsens enough for a surgical solution. Meanwhile care in walking and avoidance of falling are primary tactics.  Some steroids and pain meds will be prescribed from time to time.

The largest downside of the condition for me is reduced concentration while writing when pain is present. So I will do what I need to do to manage that work load. You may find blogs are less frequent but I hope not!

Health issues and age go hand in hand. It’s normal and to be expected. Let it be. I’ll see you again here tomorrow!

October 4, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment