Monday, February 4, 2013

Sensing Soul


Anthony Douglas Williams was quoted on the internet the other morning:

“When I look into the eyes of an animal I do not see an animal. I see a living being. I see a friend. I feel a soul.”

This thought stopped me in my tracks. I glanced at my dog. She saw my look and stared back. Often I look up and she is sitting nearby staring at me. Those deep dark eyes, round and full of life. Just watching me. Still as a rock.

Of course I wonder what she is thinking; and yes I give her credit to think! So many times I’ve stared deep into her eyes and felt a strong presence.

There are those special times as well when she jumps up on my lap, snuggles in, and goes to sleep. Deep sleep. Trusting and secure. She is where she belongs. Her soul force is present and freely shared with me.

A delight in our lives. Willow is a small Lhasa Apso 7 years old now. A rescue, a companion, a lover and a partner. She watches over us and shares her home with us!

How could there be no soul in such a presence?

When we leave home for countless errands and appointments, she makes a play to come with us. She lets us know she is disappointed when we leave her behind. But do you know what she and your dog does when you are not around? They wait for you! Yes they do. And that breaks my heart in one instant but heals it in the next. Such loyalty and caring.

I think she needs us, but I’m sure she knows we need her. That completes our sense of home!

February 4, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment