Saturday, February 2, 2013

Thought for the Day


Speak the Truth

Found on the internet:

            “Speak the truth even if your voice shakes.”
                                                                        ~Anonymous

Has this ever happened to you? Perhaps it was with a parent, or child or close family member? Perhaps it was with a friend who has challenged you and your values? Or maybe it has been in public when the time finally broke when you had to say something about a matter you feel had been made light of, or misspoken about for far too long.

When you spoke, your voice took on the shakes. You stopped and swallowed and began again. But the shake was still there. Others stopped and looked at you, fearful that you were about to break into tears? You know that sort of breath-stopping-moment of silence?

This has happened to me. The easiest is with family and friends who I know will hear me out and treat my thoughts with dignity. The hardest is in public where the listeners feel no obligation to give me any room for compassion.

But I do it anyway. Speak my mind as best I can without anger. Even through the shakiness. It is a companion of my honesty – and earnestness.

Not a bad thing to have, I think.

Have a good weekend of restoration!

February 2, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment