Monday, August 12, 2013

Tying Up Loose Ends


A little bit ago I wrote about decisions. Some big and some small. We all encounter them. Throughout life. Most are very small decisions but they have cumulative value. In time we are moving down a forceful path, perhaps on a journey we didn't plan. But one we chose nonetheless!

Mine began a long time ago. Self employed as a consultant. Built the practice on a nearly career-long road of gathered experiences and skills. A good time doing the work; a little scary at the beginning but one of my kids was graduated college, the second one well into his college career. Divorce was final and paid for. College money was in the bank so I didn't have to worry about that. Just had to worry about my own retirement and that was well on the way to investment and eventual payoff.

I concentrated on having some personal fun for a change and followed my dream to get involved in public policy and elected office. Small potatoes, really: city council, park board; but along the way a lot of boards of directors and organization work that was very satisfying. But then things changed.

The cigarettes had long been out of control but alcohol became an emotional addiction. Before total collapse occurred I quit both and moved back to the career focus.

Shortly thereafter, however, lung and heart issues popped into control and health issues cascaded. Trouble was I was self employed and had no disability income insurance. So I used what I had available, the SEP-IRA. When it appeared my working career was nearing its end, I used the SEP-IRA to pay down debts and downsized my living expense base. Lived monthly off the SEP-IRA for awhile until things worked out with Social Security and Medicare. Once transitioned things evened out for awhile.

Then the IRS took its view that I owed taxes on the SEP-IRA regardless of the cause of its use. So finally there I was paying them $50 a month for life to settle their claim. No hope of ever paying off their supposed fines and interest.

The decision forgotten in all of this? The importance of private disability income insurance. That would have saved me a lot of trouble.

Anyway, here I am. The house is in foreclosure; final court date is August 13. Then we await the inevitable eviction notice.  Meanwhile we seek housing where it is affordable. And that is in a rural town. Beautiful. Agricultural. Peaceful. Loaded with very nice people. It is a good direction we are moving in.

Now to find the house and its financing. We think we have both arranged enough to plan for the move. We are getting rid of household goods we know we are not going to need, and we are packing up the things we can store for awhile in the garages of friends and family! Then arrange purchase of the new place and plan the move before the Sheriff’s work crew descends upon us.

Other loose ends? Well, if I move out of the Park District I must resign my commissioner post. Also, I’m on the board of the Arts Council and will need to leave that position once I've given them all the help I can to successfully complete this year’s obligations.

The really big change will be leaving the local newspaper. Co-founder and managing editor, columnist and city hall reporter (and obit writer, recruiter of writing talents, identifying themes for each issue and arranging writing assignments to spice up the paper’s content). Leaving this very creative post will be painful.

Because I’m a member of the Chamber by virtue of the newspaper’s membership, I will have to resign the Chamber board and its executive committee as well. The assignments there were just getting juicy and creative. I’ll miss those opportunities.

I know this sounds rather dire. It is in some sense of it but not in its totality.  This is the end of one chapter of our lives and the beginning of a new one.

A new beginning. Slimmed down and much less burdened. New opportunities to discover self and others. And life. To discover life in a fresh new way.

Actually we all have that opportunity at the beginning of each new day. The challenge is finding the courage to just do it!

How about you? Are your days fresh and renewing opportunities? Livelifehappy.com gives us this thought to consider: “Accept what is, let go of what was and have faith in what will be.” 

That’s a healthy way of looking at it.


August 12, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment