Thursday, July 24, 2014

Falling, falling, falling…


I usually write a blog or two ahead so I don’t have a time crunch affecting my productivity, or for that matter, affecting the quality of my work. Last week, for example, I wrote four or five days ahead so I had inventory to publish day by day without pressure. 

Good thing. Last Thursday, I fell. At church.

First some background. The church is small and has husbanded its resources carefully. It does not need fancy things to celebrate God. Nor does the congregation have to be wowed by silver, gold or shiny brass to lift praises to their loving God. The sanctuary is beautiful yet simple. It’s just that the interior of the sanctuary was showing its age, wear and accumulated stains and eradicable dirt. So the congregation felt it was time for a renewal. Nothing fancy. Just some paint, carpet replacement and some lighting improvements. Oh, and some new seating that would provide more flexibility in use of space in the sanctuary.

That’s where this story begins. The new sanctuary seating arrived by truck last Thursday, July 17th. Although I am not able to lift and tote anything of much weight, I at least arrived at 7 am to see for myself that the crew was sufficient to do the job. Somehow I got involved and climbed the truck ramp to help someone carry a pallet of light weight parts down and into the church. It was a little disconcerting because the ramp was steep, but I was slowly walking backward with my share of the load.

Having accomplished that small feat, I climbed the ramp again to take a small collection of loose wooden parts off the truck and into the church. I should not have! Hind sight, you know.

The ramp was far too steep for me. My body weight provided the forward momentum down the ramp but my feet and legs could not keep up. So I began a slow tumble. I managed to remain upright down the ramp, across the sidewalk, and into the church entry whereupon I collapsed in a heap on the welcome mat. I landed on two knees, an assortment of elbows and arm extensions. Fearing I would hit my head or land flat on my face, I scrunched my stomach and back muscles fiercely. The strategy worked. I landed without hitting my head.

Winded and considerably short of breath, I lay there for a few moments, collected my thoughts, and slowly pulled my arms and legs together so I could rise. A colleague moved a chair near to me and I managed to get onto the chair where I sat for 8 minutes or so. Nothing much hurt. No sharp pains. Just abrasions, bruises and contusions. And soreness.

I said my apologies and admitted my humility. I claimed willingness but inability to help. Slowly I left the building and carefully climbed into the van and drove home.

Bleeding a little from knees and elbows and one finger, Rocky daubed and spread appropriate ointments. I then sat in my recliner. Even fell asleep. Upon waking I felt back pain. I could not move, sneeze, cough, burp or talk without pain. Breathing was labored.

Fearing a broken rib, I agreed to visit the emergency room. They felt no x-ray was needed but examined me and found nothing glaringly wrong. They admitted I would be in a lot of pain for a few days and that they could provide drugs to relax muscles and take the edge off the pain. Armed with those drugs and  prescriptions, I left the ER and went home. Rocky went to the drug store to fill the scripts.

Today is Tuesday, six days later. I am still hurting but improving. Knees and elbows are healing and swelling lessened. The back pain continues but lesser so. I am beginning to cut down the drug intake and aiming for normal soon.

Meanwhile humility calls me. I need help to get in and out of the car. I need someone to drive me. Although I can set the table I cannot carry food laden dishes. I can take my own shower, shave and brush my hair. Donning underpants is a terror but possible. So, too, putting on socks. Shoes are not such a problem; I just jam the foot in and hope for the best!

But there is more to the ‘meanwhile’. Writing a blog, a newspaper column or news reports, takes a level of concentration that is challenged by drugs and pain. Words come slowly if at all. You may have noticed a decline in my writing ability in the past few days. So be it. It is part and parcel of writing a commentary on real life. And this is real life. And these words are an honest commentary!

With more time on my hands plus enforced inactivity, is can now time to smell the air better, hear the birds clearly, and fawn over our dog more. All are rewards of the circumstance I find myself in.

And it is OK. Try it sometime. Other than the pain at first, I’m confident you will find ample rewards.
Meantime, enjoy the great day!

July 24, 2014

  

No comments:

Post a Comment