Friday, September 26, 2014

Saying It Straight


Writing this blog for nearly three years I've come across lots of opinions about life and politics. So many opinions shared. So many pontifications! A lot of ranting. And I've done my share as well. But then the purpose of this blog for me is to vent my inner self, capture some fresh air and move on.

I share with you the thoughts of others when I spot something with special value. Usually those thoughts are to the point and well stated. Easy to remember.

Here is just such a quote. This one is from my daughter-in-law Michelle.

            “Nothing spurred this, just a thought pattern, I don't typically post about 'hot
button' items but hell, everyone else spews their opinions on this stuff, I might as well –

1) you should be able to spank your children if that is the discipline style you choose without fear of legal repercussion
2) you should be able to own a gun if you are a sane, law abiding citizen without being told you are a violent person
3) you should not have to defend your lifestyle to anyone
4) you should be provided with good medical care and education regardless of your income level
5) you should not have politicians involved in your family life
6) companies are not people and should not be treated as such
7) I would not personally choose abortion outside of medical necessity but I believe in a woman or couple's right to choose for themselves and I will not condemn those that choose that path

These are many of my beliefs, if you don't like it, unfriend me. If you would like to have an intelligent conversation I will gladly engage. If you mindlessly spew "facts" without doing the appropriate research, just walk away, you will only sound like a fool.”   ~Michelle Falco

Direct and to the point. On many issues. Most of those issues have been covered in my blog over the past 35 months. Some topics revisited often.  Michelle and I get along well. We agree often; disagree rarely, but accept those points of dissonance. We each have that right.

Why then so much disruption over disagreement in our land? Good question!

Some folks want you to believe as they do; they assume you just haven’t had the same access to the facts as they; or perhaps your education is deficient and they are there to set you straight. You know the kind. They don’t listen to others very well. They listen only as far as they need to determine if you agree with them. Then their minds are bent on setting you straight. They stop listening to your why and how-for and only dialog with their inner self to win an argument. But there is no argument. Only the one brewing in their skull.

Discussions built around agreements become boring in short order. Conversations constructed around disparate views is exciting, informative and motivating.  The motivation is to learn more, to understand a person’s perspective from their vantage point. How did they come by that viewpoint? What gave it shape for them?

I wonder if we understand how we came by our own perspectives?  Do we think on that often enough or even at all? Perhaps that’s the starting point for getting along with others.

Diplomats deal with this dissonance all the time. Their job is to get conversations started, then supported, then moved to the point of agreeing on some point upon which later agreements might be fashioned. It is all about getting along in the world. And we won’t if we don’t listen and compromise.

It doesn't take action to listen. But it is certain that compromise is impossible without listening.

Now there’s a thought for the day!  Thanks, Michelle for sharing your thoughts with us.

September 26, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment