Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Being a Grandfather


As I write this it feels surreal. I am a grandfather, three times over. Have been called grandpa for nearly 14 years. Two granddaughters – Lindsay and Kira – and one grandson – Jax. Jax is the latest addition to the Safford clan. He is 8 months old, plus two weeks!

I don’t see much of Jax because he is living with his mom and dad with mom’s parents while their home is being renovated. Maybe by Christmas they will be in their own fully completed home.

But Lindsay and Kira I visit weekly. That started a few years ago – maybe four – when I began reading to them. It started with Dandelion Cottage by Watson Rankin published in 1904. I had this story read to me as a child and I read it on my own a few years later. I thought the girls would enjoy the tale. They did and that started years of reading to them on Saturday mornings.

A few Christmases ago I remembered Anne of Green Gables written by Lucy Maud Montgomery in 1908. My mother had read the book to we three kids – sister Carol, brother Sherm and me. Later the book was made into a movie I watched on PBS. Loved it again; watched it with my wife Ann and daughter Elizabeth. Now years later I found the Anne of Green Gables series of books on Amazon and bought it for Lindsay. I had not known there was a series of books. But yes; eight of them!

I bought the series in paperback. Little did I know the print would be so small! But Lindsay and I labored on for three years reading all eight books.  Refreshing, charming and coming of age, too. Through a few generations the stories track life on Prince Edward Island before World War I and then through the entire war. The history presented was from the Canadian perspective of the day and one I had never encountered. It also gave Lindsay the opportunity to meet that era in a special way, expanding her world view.

Lindsay if 13 and will turn 14 in March, 2015. She is a bright, light haired young lady working hard to master the violin. She has attended two music summer camps in Michigan, plays in the orchestra there and at home in her middle school. She is also playing with the Elgin Youth Symphony and was recently asked to play in a string quartet. She practices on her own and enjoys the music both inside and outside of it.

She is also an excellent student earning all A’s. Her latest ‘bug’ is theater and she has appeared in three or four productions at her school. This past summer she added drama to her musical interests at the Michigan arts camp.

We are now co-reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens). Our work together is sort of a self discovery co-tutorial. We both read two chapters per week then discuss the material. I’m new at this particular role but together we are finding the exercise interesting. Mostly I’m discovering what a delightful mind my beautiful granddaughter has!

Kira just turned 11. When asked a few years ago (age 7?) what she would like me to read to her, she said the Bible! So we started. With Genesis. As I recall we didn't get far when Kira suggested we find a new book! I was more than a little relieved and we went on to a few children’s books, then one or two Nancy Drew mysteries. We are now tracking through some hilarious material that pairs up with her classroom experiences. She too is a good listener, just a bit more kinetic because of her age.

And she is learning the cello and likes it. Learning more each week she and Lindsay even work out duets for cello and violin. Holidays they treat the family to mini concerts!

Kinetic Kira also likes gymnastics. She has tumbling mats and a practice beam mat at the house. In mid conversation with her mom Kira is likely to make an entrance with handstands and back and front flips. All while never missing a point in the conversation.

Jax is the human football passed among adults at every family gathering. I worry he will be dropped but not yet! And being passed over the heads of the busily chatting adults doesn't seem to phase him one bit. A solid kid Jax has a face filled with wonder and dark eyes watching everything going on around him. In the midst of the noisiest part of a gathering he will be found asleep in his carrier on the floor or sofa. Nothing seems to disturb his sleep.

And that’s a good place to end this posting. With the littlest one asleep I am reminded of the comfort and security of youth. Among family they know they are safe. At my age I feel the same with them. And that makes me think of a nap!

Ta ta!

October 15, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment