Friday, December 19, 2014

Arts & Culture


I don’t think I’m a snob. I do appreciate classical music. I like to think I have an advanced appreciation for classical music and seek good performances, CDs, etc. to feed my interest and enjoyment. Maybe 20 years ago I broadened my musical interests to more popular forms of music. And dance. Theater, too. If the ‘art’ transported me to another dimension in which to think and innovate ideas, then I was happy. And appreciative.
Tastes among any population at any given moment, varies widely. Heavy metal tunes I never understood; still don’t and I do not wish to explore the genre. At all. Lyrics should mean something. Not screaming, moaning, fist shaking or torso twisting symbolism. For a song I need words to understand. And I think most musical creations should conjure a storyline for the listener. A mood, emotion and idea in the listener’s mind is the objective of the artist, I think. If that is missing then it is likely not art.
Now that’s my opinion, you understand. You might not agree. And that’s OK. I don’t have to agree with you nor you with me. That’s the world of art. That is also why much of art is misunderstood and has difficulty gaining traction with the public. To each a voice speaks! Maybe only for a few.
The Voice broadcast annually for seven years by NBC has been a particular favorite of mine. To those who know me that might be surprising because it contains a lot of music I do not particularly care for. But I am exposed to what the public seems to like. That broadens me. I also find enjoyment with many of the aspiring performers.
This year American pop culture has again anointed country and western music. The Voice of the Year is a typical, twangy romantic country singer. Evidently this is the pop culture of the moment for our country. After all the public has chosen country music four times out of seven. I don’t agree with it but I do agree with the natural conclusion that country music appeals to the lowest common denominator in our public. That’s why it wins The Voice so often.
Take Adam Levine’s team, outstanding musical talent. All three of them. They will have successful careers I have no doubt. I just hope that Adam and Pherrell will take these young men under their wing and support their career development. They will enrich American musical arts for another generation if they do. It is a shame one of them wasn’t the winner.
I know this is my taste in music speaking. But I fear that this lowest common denominator process is a public problem that affects many other aspects of our national life.
If each of us discerned the most important topics in life and worked at them I think our artistic environment would be vastly different. I think our appreciation for education would be much different. I think our economics would be much more successful and purposeful. I think political nonsense would pretty much disappear while governance would be driven by need and effectiveness.
Like any topic, intellectual focus and discipline helps us understand the world around us. It is both serious and fun if we promote them. But we don’t. That’s because we are moved by fear of something and that’s how the topic comes to our minds for discussion and thinking. We ignore topics we don’t fear or worry about. Life and its problems are serious business and we seek escape through fun, music, art and a lot of other unmeaningful activities. Sports come to mind in the main. So do talking head pols.
It takes work to make a difference in the world. It takes focus to extract the jewels of understanding and appreciation. But these are the rewards we will acquire if our lives together are successful, meaningful, and make a difference in the lives of others.
Am I so far out of the mainstream that I cannot see it? Gosh, I hope not. I have always thought each of us should make a difference in the lives of others. If we all did this just imagine what a neat environment we would be living in, experiencing and all the rest.
I know this is a frequent soap box of mine, but I truly think we would be a happier and healthier nation if we all worked to make a difference in the lives of others. The world would be much better for it. Individually we would be healthier as well.
Perhaps this is too much to wish for?
December 19, 2014

 

No comments:

Post a Comment