Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Computer Reliance

 

My email is messed up. It started with Microsoft Internet Explorer. That is now so encased in malware that I cannot open it without hours of rebuilding.  I have Gmail as well. It has been infected with adware that continually pops up massive marketing sites that sap the power and speed of my Gmail messaging. Snail’s pace is fast compared with what I’m getting currently.
 
Internet access is incomplete. I go to major sites for news and follow up information and sites freeze up or don’t open at all. Any mouse clicks on the left button cause more sites to open and clog the search pathway.

Opening a Word Document is OK. I can write the blog. I can prepare other documents and file them in folders. I can use my desktop and folders. After a few hours, however, even the desktop clogs up and restarts. That moves all the icons around and requires manual sorting. Then there are the open files that get lost without saving. Or the files that go into ghost mode; their partial icon appears on the desktop but nothing happens when clicked on.

Of course as the above unfolds my anxiety level rises. Impatience builds. My mind ceases to analyze; it thinks it is analyzing but it overloads and accomplishes nothing. Only a cooler head will prevail. That’s Rocky.

He usually finds a way past the immediate blockage and for a while I can resume productive work. Meanwhile I have experienced a detour from the routine and the day lengthens. Objectives are missed. Calendar items become a jumble.

It is easier and more pleasant to watch a movie or older TV series rerun. Or simply to read a book. And of course a nap comes in mighty handy. And so pleasant to boot!

Finally I resolve to have the computer refreshed by my IT guy. But I remember he just left on a week’s vacation. Won’t be back until just before Christmas. I’ll just have to wait for his return.

Until then I’ll use Rocky’s computer for emergency communications. I also have one of those small tablet computers. I still am learning how that works and find it slower than the laptop; and more clumsy!

I guess I’ll have to limit some of my daily computer routine. That may mean an interruption of blogging and email, too.

I have to say computer interaction is something I rely on. I dislike the phone. It interrupts my train of thought and requires listening skills instead of visuals. I prefer the latter.

Funny how seemingly newfangled things are adopted and relied on. I don’t miss them until denied access to them. The big surprise is that I have a reliance on them, the new technology. I didn’t think I did.

But I do.

Stay tuned to see how well or not I fare in the next two weeks. Things might get quiet around here!

December 9, 2014

 

No comments:

Post a Comment