Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Reflections on Ann O’Connor


Yesterday’s blog was the obituary of Ann O'Connor of Syracuse, New York.  Ann died on Saturday, January 17 at the age of 81. Those interested can read that blog and then turn back here for my reflections.

In June 1960 I rejoined my parents who had moved from Pittsfield, Massachusetts to Syracuse, New York six months earlier. I had remained in Pittsfield to complete my junior year in high school. And yes, moving to a small community (East Syracuse, New York) for my last year of high school, was not an easy thing to do. But it gave me a unique perspective on the growing up process! During that one year I made some pretty important friends, people who would influence my life for the rest of my years.

At any rate, during my senior year of high school, I met Bill Bronner who lived one block from our home in East Syracuse. On weekends Bill would join friends of his from his days living in Syracuse before Urban Renewal knocked down a lot of homes to build Interstate 80, the north/south highway connecting Canada to Tennessee through the heart of central New York. One of the last denizens of the old neighborhood to move out was Ann O'Connor. 

Bill introduced me to Annie and the gang. We came to know each other and to celebrate the turbulent times of maturing during the 1960’s when John F. Kennedy succeeded Eisenhower in the White ouHHouse, was assassinated in 1963, when Lyndon Baines Johnson succeeded JFK, poorly administered the Vietnam War, was succeeded by Richard Nixon, Robert Kennedy was assassinated in 1968 and followed by the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in the same year.

Yes it was that era of unrest, tortuous public policy, Civil Rights movement successes and drama, during the cluttered presence of war protests against Vietnam defense maneuvers. It was the years of the hippie, of free love, of Haight-Ashbury in California. It was the death of American social innocence and the birth of a truly more open, accepting and intellectual American social order. Or maybe that’s just my personal take while I aged from the teen years into my twenties. An era it was, regardless of who you were. That period of social upheaval was a time that changed lives and societies.

In that milieu I met Ann O'Connor. She had been crippled by a cruel and unceasing attack of rheumatoid Arthritis when she was 15 and a quadriplegic by 16. She graduated  from high school in her invalid bed at home. As tragic as that sounds, Ann’s personality showed forth in remarkable ways. She was Roman Catholic. She was deeply religious and faithful, but intellectually alive and resistant to dogma that was ill supported. She took us on her intellectual journey of discovery in all things theological, political, social and psychological. Deeply intelligent, she was self educated after high school. I bet if she had been mentored and assessed by university personnel, she would have earned at least a master’s degree in life. Probably more like a PhD.

We discussed everything. History. American regionalism. Economics, physics, math, sociology, politics and sex. Everything was on the table. We discussed these things seriously but with humor and ease. It was a remarkable thing to be a part of. My maturation from high school to college to graduate school all came from this experience.

In unique ways Ann took charge of our growing up and adult awareness of the world. We shared such personal things. Openness of the mind and emotions were part of that experience. Traveling within the mind on a journey of exploration shared with contemporaries was a joy I had not known before. It set a standard I followed for many years and even to this day.

It is hard to fathom Ann’s death. We had not had any contact for most of these past 40 years, Maybe even 50 years. But she was a part of me, still is. Always will be.

Ann O'Connor was part of many lives and many minds. That’s the kind of person she was. And is. She is finally free of her twisted, deformed, painful body. But her mind continues to range free in the universe.

She said goodbye to life as we know it, but we have no need to say good by to Ann. She is very much with us.

And that’s a wonderful thing!

January 20, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment