Friday, January 17, 2020

Losing Soul?


I’m in the process of reviewing 8+ years of this blog’s contents. Every now and then Facebook reminds me of a posting done a year or two ago. Yes, I also post my blog on Facebook. It reaches my friends and locals better than the blog.


At any rate, I’m reminded from time to time what I wrote on various topics. The startling fact: I have been consistent in handling the many issues covered in the blog.  I reprint these to Facebook when so moved.


This process tells me that the issues raised in the past continue to this day. Those issues are as or more important than they were when I first wrote about them. Suggested handling of most of those issues remains the same today. This actually informs me:


1.      We haven’t accomplished much as a society in the past 8+ years

2.      Too few citizens engage in the hard work of making history, taking responsibility for our nation and its problems

3.      Along the way, no matter how much we say we agree on issues, we don’t move the dial any. Is this a sign that we are losing our soul as a nation and people?


I heard an interview with a disaffected republican conservative the other day. I think it was on the Colbert Late Show program. The fellow fulminated about how off the tracks the GOP is, in fact, he declared it a dead party. But he went on to say he kept his conservatism, his faith, and his ideology intact. He continues to work diligently on acquiring the ends of all his work.


It hit me square in the face: this guy is a reason the GOP is dead. His sense of ends or goals is more important than the means employed. In the end he has helped create the death of the GOP. He has celebrate ends over means until he has no soul. Of course, he doesn’t know this. He probably would disagree vehemently with me on that conclusion. The blind do not see, especially those who blinded themselves.


This tragedy works for each of us. If we do not raise our voice, stand and deliver our opinion, inform our government and its representatives we elect to work on our behalf, then we are as much the problem as others we blame.


It is time to own that reality. It is time to regain our soul. Stand for something like justice, equality, fairness and caring for our fellow citizens. This strengthens our nation and our people. But it also manages the issues better than the current ends justifying the means.


As we look out over the American political landscape, we note chaos, dishonesty, bad manners and woeful lack of respect for foundational values. We must do something about that. We need to take concrete steps today.


We can do this individually and together. Individually we take steps we can in this very moment. As others note our movement, they will stand and deliver their truth. Then arm in arm we can work together to bring harmony and peace back to our nation. And the world.


Both ache for this return to normalcy and acceptance of difference.

Can we regain our soul?


January 17, 2020




No comments:

Post a Comment