Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Shifting Technology

I don’t know about you but technology changes have been good and bad for me. The good is the huge improvement in productivity technology has provided me. Also good, intuitive operations where grammar checking, spelling, and punctuation assists are available without me thinking much about them. Filing labels, saving related material in separate folders, and retrieval of all existing documents are all great advantages provided by tech advances.

The bad? Well, knowing about the advances is one thing, moving to adopt them in a timely manner is a problem not easily managed. Then, making the change - adopting the new - involves a learning process that is not always easy. 

I recall learning word processing software back in the late 70’s or early 80’s. It took a lot of effort to understand the programs and commands. Each updated version added to the learning curve. I adapted slowly to this. Grudgingly. Over time command changes became more logical and obvious. But then competing software products were introduced to the market and adoption rates were quick. Old programs disappeared when revolutionary new ones were made available.

Eventually, Microsoft Word was the standard. I stayed with the product for decades. It served me very well. Until lately.

Lately, licensing, subscription fees, and authorization procedures became much more complex. Talking this over with friends, I learned there were many free word processing products available. Chief among them is Google Docs. This is a good thing because my blog is on Google’s Blogspot.com, my emails are all gmail accounts, and SCORE operations involves mostly Google products. The consistency of these relationships promises good things for the near term.

I write these things on my new Google Doc platform. We shall see how easy this is, how transportable it is to the blog, and then on to my daily Facebook posting. If this works well, I think I will have adopted yet another great change in my work a day life.

If you don’t see the blog on the Internet or on Facebook, you will know automatically that this turn out to be as easy as I hoped!  Stay tuned.

And so, the aging process uncovers still more challenges! Ah yes!

January 23, 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment