Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Blog Traffic

This blog started October 2012. It will be 10 years old this year. During that time, a global audience has outstripped the domestic one in the USA. I had not thought that would be the case, but it is what it is. It is unclear why this is the case. An observation of mine may be the primary reason: people from other nations want to catch a glimpse of what life is like in America. Or they specifically hope to understand why America acts as it does.

Regardless of why, it has been an unexpected pleasure to know people around the globe have read my inner thoughts as presented in this blog. I use this space to think out loud, to reason and tease what I think to better understand myself. And I have come to know myself better. I have also improved how I articulate complex issues.

Over the past 12 to 18 months international traffic to my site has declined. Most likely the cause is twofold: the nutty social environment of trump, and the pandemic. Both have disrupted how we live in the United States, and elsewhere in the world. The pandemic has done this without discussion. Trumpism will provoke discussion, but those of us living in the USA have no doubt about how twisted and disrupted our national persona has become. It is still in upset.

With the presidential election decided and with Biden in the White House, our national nightmare is not over. Much healing is needed to accomplish that. Our foreign friends (and enemies!) need to know this to understand us. A sleeping giant of racism and bigotry has been awakened, much like Nazi Germany in the 1930’s. It is likely most nation’s have the same sleeping giant within. My observation is: don’t underestimate the power of disenfranchisement, dislocation, or separateness felt by fellow citizens.

America’s brand of this problem is a sense of White Supremacy, entitlement that all good things belong to people of white ethnicity.

Of course, the problem is real, but how nonsensical is it? Think of all the DNA testing done to determine blood nationality and ancestry? The more it is done, the more we realize how interconnected and related we are. This is not a white or black world, or tan, pink, umber, or any other hue. We are all one within the human race. Finding what separates us is the first step toward setting us apart form one another.

Focus on what unites us. Focus on how we are the same in so many ways.

The blogger’s life teaches us many lessons.

I started today’s post to comment on the unexplained drop in international readership. I wonder if my experience is similar to other bloggers? Or has my message become trite? I was going to pose the question of continuing the blog or not. I believe I answered my own question – the blog is not about others but rather myself. It is here to help me understand myself and the world and whatever else toddles down the path.

So, here I am; here I remain.

March 3, 2021

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment