Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Bits and Pieces

Cleaning House: With only one of us capable of cleaning the house, I have taken to cleaning my bathroom throughout the week. I focus one day a week to do a more inclusive clean, but the bathroom is mostly clean if not spotless anytime one would wish to use it. Not true of the other bathroom which I will not enter! That is up to Rocky to struggle with. Keeping the kitchen tidy is one thing, clean another. I keep the stove, sink, counters, and breakfast table orderly and clean. Inside the microwave, refrigerator, and oven, that is another issue entirely. I struggle with it and do occasional spot cleans.

Vacuuming the carpeting and cleaning the kitchen floor is a problem. We spot clean the hard surface floors, but carpeting? The vacuum is light and effective but pushing and pulling it is exhausting. I used to do this chore as part of my daily aerobics plan. Same with the shower with deep knee bends. Those days are behind us. Deep knee bends are a fancy of memory. Getting down with the knees now is accidental; getting up requires teamwork. No, we avoid that.

The point of this piece is to mention we hired a cleaning service to clean the entire apartment. Only one visit; they promised 4 hours of vigorous cleaning. The vigorous was correct, but the visit ended at 2.5 hours. Later we found many small tasks avoided or poorly done. Still, the cleaning got us back to a condition that we will continue to keep up bit by bit.

My parents did not inform me of aging issues. They hid their struggles well. Now it is ours to accommodate. And thrive?

Traffic: During the pandemic traffic was light. Parking was easy. Foot traffic in stores and institutions which were open for business, was sparse. With a return to life with fewer COVID protocols, traffic has exploded. So too, foot traffic everywhere. But it is the car traffic that worries. Drivers act like they are championing the Indy 500. They dart in and around traffic switching lanes at will. They speed to get ahead at the next traffic light. The other day we drove on I-88 to visit my son’s family. I set our speed at 70, then 75, this in a 60 mph zone. I sped up because others passed me right and left going at least 10 mph faster than me. At least 10 mph. maybe even 20? Breathtaking. It made me think about using surface routes in the future. As the world comes out of pandemic, the wild drivers are everywhere. Be very aware!

Staying Put: As the world comes back to life, foot traffic is apparent. Downtown streets, side streets, and around institutions. People are coming out to be themselves. Outdoor concerts are a draw for the  young but not for the older. News coverage of those events show mobs of people in close proximity and most not wearing masks. The young are the ones most likely not to be vaccinated against COVID. Two weeks after the event it is apparent COVID infections are on the rise among this age group. The science continues its proof. Vaccines work. We will remain distanced, masked while outdoors and in stores. We will stay close to home. It is safe. We are busy. We do not live in a cocoon. It is a small price to pay to remain healthy. Besides this lifestyle is simple and easy to live with. Visitors are welcome anytime as long as they are vaccinated or masked.

July 27, 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment