Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Given the Choice

Rocky is hard of hearing and should replace his hearing aids. His eyesight is fading due to diabetic retinopathy. Cancer took his voice box and dulled his senses of smell and taste as the bronchial tube was re-routed to the front of his neck, sidetracking his throat, mouth, and sinuses. He cannot speak, therefore. And Parkinson’s Disease is limiting his movement more and more, including mouthing words for lip reading and diminishing written notes to dots.

I speak and hear for Rocky. I am the go between at stores, doctors offices and emergency rooms. I don’t always know what he wants, but I know instantly if I have it wrong.

His computer died as forecast by Geek Squad. He still has his Apple I-Pad, 4-G android phone, and the use of my computer. But he wanted a new lap top. Geek Squad was scheduled for Tuesday of this week, but he could not wait. So Saturday we visited Best Buy and looked at replacement options. Turned out an All-In-One Lenovo was the right ticket. On sale. Big screen. No wires or cables. So Rocky bought it. Then and there.

On the ride home I told him he got computer in trade for new hearing aids. He indicated he knew that and was good with it. He had the choice. He made his decision.

Now we shall see if he can and will live with it.

Meanwhile, Geek Squad arrived yesterday and really helped us out. Learned we have a faulty Comcast cable into the building or underground leading to the building. Also learned we have 200 MBPS WiFi speed but only 15 to 22 are getting through the cable and router. Likewise, cable box is not working properly and limiting communication with the TV and its remotes. So, a Comcast call is in the works this morning! 

And Geek taught me how to use two screens simultaneously and switch/drag images between the two screens anytime I want; and, and, and...I can listen to my CDs on my computer now and feed the sound through my Bose radio for better sound. 

I know this post started as a stark decision for Rocky, but look how it ended! So much more to work with and experience for both of us old galoots.

Stay tuned!

July 7, 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment