Sunday, January 15, 2012

Addictions

I have spent six years in a 12-step program. So far quite successfully. It is Alcoholics Anonymous. I understand the need for anonymity for many people, but I entered this program to become and remain sober. I wanted to be held accountable. So anonymity is not my thing. I have to be careful, however, for the interests of others in the program. They may wish or need anonymity. If I give up mine, they may be known by keeping company with me! So I’m quiet about AA for their sake.

AA works. I had lived a life as an openly gay man in a very public setting. I know people do not understand the gay thing. It’s OK; it took me decades to understand it, too. So I don’t hold it against others if they don’t get it.

Anyway I ran for city council, won and served a full four year term. I ran for re-election but I was ill (emphysema, COPD, atrial fibrillation, and severe apnea). I exacerbated these conditions by smoking heavily and then losing control of my drinking. I abused alcohol for about 5 years as best as I can recall. Most people didn’t know I had become dependent on alcohol, but I had. And I believe I that happened because I found it difficult to live in the proverbial ‘glass house’ of public life while being gay. I felt the whispers behind my back rather than hearing them. I knew the re-election results had been skewed by a whisper campaign but I felt if the voters were dumb enough to think being gay had a negative effect on my service, then they didn’t deserve the commitment I made to them in the first place.

Since losing the election I focused on my health, and that included breaking the two addictions: smoking and drinking. I did that in early 2006 and never looked back.

The AA program has guided me to a healthy new reality. I am calmer, better adjusted to whatever life asks of me, and a clearer thinker and writer. I get a major boost from creative endeavors. I believe in community and the value of shared life experiences with family, neighbors and other residents of the community. I have this deep belief that we can solve any problem we encounter as long as we work together. These beliefs make it a pleasure to awake each day and see what the day has to offer.

Always a hard worker and a sense of personal responsibility, I’ve made it my mission to accomplish two things: first, to be of use; second, to live up to the epitaph – “It mattered that he lived.” These two goals are at the heart of the old time American protestant ethic. And that’s what I am: Congregational (now called United Church of Christ). Oh I’ve belonged with Presbyterians and Lutherans as well, but it is the open theology of Congregationalism that still captures my heart and soul!

AA has allowed me the freedom to pursue serious thinking on what my life is about, who I am, what I have yet to accomplish, and why it is worth the effort to attempt it. Basically, the longer I live, the more I realize that life is meaningful because of what we do with our time and talents, not the stuff we accumulate. In fact, the fewer our assets, the richer life becomes. Is.

I know that sounds like a cliché. But some are so true, it is why they are a cliché!

There was a time not long ago when I felt no joy. I was conscious of the condition. I didn’t smile or laugh often. I tended to spend the day reading, sleeping or whatever kept me in the house. I became something of a hermit. But then I returned to active volunteering. With that came interaction with people and a return of joy.

I have earned my stripes of belonging to my community. I care about it, work for it, donate time, effort and talent to it. I expect nothing in return. Oh, maybe camaraderie, and a deep sense of home. That I feel. That is my reward.

I have spent many years on the board of the local chamber of commerce. I am an elected commissioner on the local park district board. I’m on the board of the town’s art council, and I serve as the managing editor of the local newspaper. I helped found both the art council and newspaper. I’m trying to create a community family chorus. I’m active in my church.

I may be retired, but I’m not defeated or uninvolved.

During this time of my life I am building a relationship with my two granddaughters, and breathing fresh life into my relationship with my daughter, son and their spouses. Life is good. And it is not over. Yet. And that’s a good thing.

January 15, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment