Thursday, June 21, 2012

Gratitude


Driving west in early morning to another suburb, to visit the granddaughters, the air is getting heavy with humidity. Temps are in the mid 70’s. Going to be a hot day – 95 degrees or so, and growing humidity. We haven’t had much of that this season. Been unusually dry, almost desert like air. Wafting breezes and lots of sun; deep blue skies with a few passing cumulus clouds.

The light at 6 am in mid June is diffuse. It catches the haze from the humidity and spreads light in subtle patterns. Green leaves are tinged with a little yellow or gold from the sun. Birds are chirping with gusto. Traffic is light going away from the city. Life is orderly, almost calm. Refreshing.

At the kids’ home; girls still asleep. Dog is companionable and attentive. I have time to write my news article on last night’s city council meeting. Also an outline of a writing project with a close friend of mine. And of course a draft or two for the blog. The moment is kind and easy. Good feelings.

Have lots to do today. Need to work with the bank who holds my mortgage and file for another modification. Not too hopeful that will be possible, but it is a step we have to take to either remain in our home, or let it go so we can move on to another abode. Orderly. Negotiated. Logical. Steps to take. Not always pleasant, but necessary.

IRS is at bay. Paid their invoice so we should be good for another year. Gives me time and focus to work on the housing issue.

Meanwhile there is so much more going on. The newspaper continues to grow; can’t say prosper yet but there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel! The blog has caught on with more people. Traffic is up. This tells me I’m not whistling in the dark. My thoughts are not at a loss; there is rhyme and reason to them.

I am grateful for calm. And stable health. And home and Rocky. They anchor me so I can explore other things. The dog is a blessing. Willow is our rock and comfort. She graces our days and nights so beautifully.

I’m grateful for an understanding and loving family. I’m grateful for the opportunity to witness young generations ply the world from within our family. The granddaughters, my own kids, Rocky’s family and extended family.

I’m grateful for Warrenville, Illinois. It is a small town of 13,000 30 miles west of Chicago. It is diverse culturally and its people seek connection with one another. A strong volunteer spirit runs through our community. The energy and creativity of our neighborhoods makes Warrenville a small town that works very well. It is a joy to live in.

I am grateful for our newspaper. A total volunteer effort; so the citizens know what’s going on. They needed it so they created it. All volunteer writers and photographers. All free and paid for by donations and advertisers. A community project with an impact.

I’m grateful for my church, Trinity Lutheran of Warrenville, the little church that does. It is involved in a number of programs in the community. It is home for a number of doers and shakers in town. None of it for ego; just for service. A great congregation to be a part of; one that let’s you explore and build your own spirituality at your own speed. How refreshing!

I’m grateful for my AA groups. We help each other develop our sobriety steadily and carefully. We rely on self and others to do this. It works. It also teaches us how to be of service in ways that really matter. The program is a blessing in so many ways. It empowers the inner self. It allows positive strengths and character traits to blossom and lead through the challenges of life’s journey.

I’m grateful for my family, my kids and granddaughters, their families and in-laws. How rich they make life for each one of them. So many more people than our original small family! My kids married into large families with even larger extended families! Each gathering is nearly a convention! So much life.

And I am so grateful for Rocky who has blessed my life for over 12 years now. His calm open manner. He quiets my excitable nature. He helps me focus on things that matter in life. He partners in all of life’s chores. And what a great cook! No wonder I’m overweight; that and my not pushing the plate away!

So much to be grateful for. So much joy and potential for more joy. We often do not think on these things. They tend to get lost in the busy-ness of life. But it is a reward to think on these things. Take the time. Count your blessings. Know that you have much to be grateful for.

June 21, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment