Sunday, June 17, 2012

Taxpayer Emasculation


At some time in our future history America will figure out how to celebrate its people and nurture the loyalty which already floods the nation. Ours is a society of volunteers; we give our ideas and labor and energy and love freely. Oh sure there are the darker souls who take. But they are more than compensated by the givers.

Problem is there are those in policy positions in our government who don’t believe any of this. Take the IRS for example.  It’s pretty basic: they don’t trust American citizens, the taxpayer.  They assume each of us is trying to cheat the government.

I think they are wrong. I think most taxpayers pay their taxes with a certain amount of pride. Oh sure, they see the rules and procedures as unfriendly. The tax forms have a demanding tone to them. They word things oddly, even arcane, making clear meaning difficult. They may feel uneasy as they work their way through the prodigious numbers, inching toward the bottom line – the amount they owe!

But once that figure is on paper, most of us sit back and mutter – “that’s not so bad.” And I’ll bet most also ponder the value of the taxes paid and what we get for them.  Pretty good value, really. One of the best countries in history; inventive, innovative, generous, brave and principled. We get good education, strong national defense, and usually an economy that is resilient to change. Nope; good value. Free people. Freedom of choice. Freedom to pursue happiness wherever it may be found.

Until, that is, you run into the IRS in a technicality even they cannot explain.

The problem, I think, is the taxing authority granted to Congress. They balance the budget and make the tax laws to generate the revenue to pay the bills of the US government. Unfortunately Congress cannot administer its own affairs, let alone something as complicated as the IRS Tax Code. So they assign administrative authority to the IRS and allow them to make the rules and regulations and procedures needed to collect the taxes.

Along the way Congress has weakened its thoughts about the tax code and adjusts it. Tweaks it. Adds loop holes to aid friends. Protect favored industries. Fund pet projects. Whatever. They muddy the waters and make the complex hellishly more so. And the IRS is asked – assumed, demanded – to carry out the onerous task of making sense of the hell hole of regulation and tax forms.

Trouble is the taxpayer has been forgotten in all of this. To be sure the taxpayer has not been forgotten as the payer of taxes, no; just forgotten on being able to understand the tax forms and the mental gymnastics needed to figure out how to pay the taxes.

Today if you earn wages or salary from a single employer it’s pretty straightforward; withholding accumulated, and automated payroll and tax collections via FICA are forwarded for you; you are reasonably OK.  But if you are an entrepreneur and run your own business, or are self employed, or have any other investments of note from which you garner a portion of your living, watch out!  Life has become very much out of the ordinary.

Funny. A nation that prides itself on entrepreneurialism. A nation that prides itself on take charge individualism. Does not know how to deal with taxation fairly and simply. Doesn’t know how to trust those folks. Makes the tax paying process horrid.

And who has the authority to accept the interpreted facts of your case? The IRS whose sole purpose is to collect as much money as they can from as many people as they can. And simplicity foils this goal. Their answer is to make the process so complex that only they can figure it out. They don’t even allow court cases. They are the adjudicator of their own web!

I know this from personal experience. And I’m open enough and humble enough to let it all hang out if you care to learn more. But here’s the short version:

I got sick: heart, lung, smoking and alcohol cessation. Very sick. Carried on my business. Activity and revenue down. Large medical costs. Funded my disability and unemployment without help from state and federal programs. Health prognosis was not good and I simplified my affairs. I paid down debts so I could live on a small income. Filed for social Security Benefits and Medicare.

I survived a five year period.  That’s longer than I thought I had left. Had neglected to file taxes during this period because I couldn’t handle the stress and didn’t have money to pay for professional taxpayer help. But I  notified IRS and worked out the details, filed all five years of taxes, paid what was owed for all tax years.  Unfortunately, the SEP-IRA cash-in was taxable even though I had paid more of my disability and unemployment costs than the taxes I owed on the SEP-IRA.  That didn’t matter to the IRS. They still wanted their money.

I agreed to pay them $50 per month for the rest of my life to pay something I didn’t owe in principle.  The IRS will get their money at the time of my death from the equity in my car and home although both are valued less than the outstanding loan balances. They will lose in the long run unless the real estate market makes a stunning recovery before I die.

Now skip to 2010 tax year: I owed very little in taxes because I earned a pittance from my dying business and the rest from Social Security. For 2011 I paid less on less income. But the IRS claims I miscalculated and owe more on self employment income – a figure half of the previous year. So less income, more tax. Doesn’t compute in my mind. But this is the IRS. And they say, I have to pay up before 30 days or my previous tax agreement is caput!

So the power play.  Of course I paid what they claimed. I don’t have funds to hire someone to fight it. The amount they want is the equivalent of one month’s food budget. In a stalled economy. But hey, this is the IRS, not Congress. The two do not speak to one another or monitor the fall-out of their decisions.

I’ll pay for two reasons. First, it manages my stress to a tolerable level. Second, I support my nation right or wrong. I just don’t have to be silent about it.

Sometime in the future, you and I will band together and make Congress simplify the tax code so it can be paid easily and fairly. And reasonably. With the reduced middle class standard of living, this needs to be done sooner rather than later. Or there won’t be anyone at home to pay. An emasculated taxpayer nation.

Sooner rather than later? When will Washington DC get the message?

June 17, 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment