Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I Was a Republican


I am 70 years old. I ‘started’ as a republican. I studied the issues beginning in my teen years, followed political news faithfully in the daily newspaper, exited high school as a fierce conservative and then entered college. There I continued my faithful following of the party and became deeply involved in Young Republicans; also young Americans for Freedom.

The latter group was super conservative. They worshiped the John Birch Society. I even attended a meeting or two. But then I became frightened! They displayed their hand guns and a fearful rhetoric that the ‘commies’ would soon overrun the country and only the conservatives would be able to save the country. I did not believe them then; nor now.

Studying history, political science and economics, I began to form my own opinions and theories. Much to my surprise I learned that economic theory did not work as supposed by writers and pundits in the media. No. Macro economics and micro economics functioned much differently than the columnists claimed. In fact they were mostly downright wrong. And then embellished on that platform of error endlessly spouting theories and conclusions which held not even air. They were very off the mark!

Working in the trenches of the Republican party following college, I became aware of the divide between conservatives and everyone else in the party.  In the middle and late 1960’s, the vast majority of Republicans were middle of the road and pragmatic. They were concerned with international relations and tending to important global issues that hopefully would spell the future of peace – energy renewal, education, medical advancements, and research and development. The party leaders at that time were stepping up to leader the nation in a global community.

Conservatives on the other hand were building scenarios of treachery and fear that totalitarian governments would trick America and take over unsuspecting citizens. Conspiracy theories abounded. This faction of the party worked tirelessly to take the leadership reins of the party. By the 1980’s they had succeeded to a large degree. Many simply considered the Republican party as the Conservative party! That’s when I abandoned the party.

I became fed up with the narrow minded theories which preached someone would take your money and life from you in the name of government! Their message was based on fear. It was a constant ‘me against you’ or ‘us against them’ message.  Never a ‘we the people’ message.

I really did not become a Democrat. I just found candidate selection in the voting booth to be pretty much either Republican or Democrat. The latter gathered more and more of my votes out of abhorrence of the former! 

Today I am a solid middle of the road thinker. I am focused on problems that ‘we the people’ struggle with, and attempt to find or create solutions that will benefit ‘we the people.’ I do not seek solutions that are over the top, unfair to vast numbers of people, or for that matter industries. I believe the economy must be a a fair and balanced machine that creates economic goods for everyone. At the same time, I believe everyone has the responsibility to contribute to the smooth working of that economy. Together we can ensure a reasonably good standard of living for everyone, and outstanding opportunities for those who are willing to take risks and are interested in raking in vast sums of wealth. 

I am not one of those people. I do not care for wealth. I care more about intellect, spirit and relationships of people than great wealth.  I've made my contributions to the well being of the whole. I have supported my family through thick and thin as well. As I age I need less and less, so wealth is not coveted in our household. The need is simply not there.

John F. Kennedy said it best with this comment:

“If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.”

But he also said:

            “Ask not what your country can do for you,
             But ask what you can do for your country.”

This president turned my head toward principle and philosophy of spirit. He led the American people in a fresh new direction – toward the future, garnering all the strengths of our traditions and history to solve great problems, open the frontiers of space, expand research and development, and provide vast new opportunities for a hungry, motivated public willing to study and prepare for new careers.

JFK asked the American people to partner with each other to make our country as good as it could be. And he claimed this as a fully expected outcome:

“The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it – and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.”

No less is asked of us today. The needs still exist. Our participation is still expected. And our first African American President claims our loyalty to these same principles as we march into the future. We can do it well together, or we can stumble, stutter and foul things up by opposing each other.

Which will it be?

November 27, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment