Monday, November 18, 2013

Uplifting


We learn by doing. We learn from experiences. An internet site called LessonsLearnedinLife.com shared this gem with readers the other day:

“Your greatest test is when you are able to bless someone else while you are going through your own storm.”

Think about that. Remember when you were last in the grips of a problem, one that challenged you in many dimensions – maybe even today! – and imagine yourself reaching out and  helping someone else who is obviously troubled by a problem. That moment of extending yourself into the life space of someone else, didn't it lighten your load?

Rather than spiraling downward in your own whirlpool of grief, anger and dismay, helping someone else lifted you up. Maybe for a day or an hour, or maybe just for a moment. But that positive boost was there, wasn't it?

We are self balancing most of the time. We seek buoyancy just as we reach for a life raft! The same with emotions. To combat that sinking feeling we ache for something to hold onto. The best life raft is another person, one who needs our help. We are drawn to people who will listen to us but the relief is temporary. Being in charge of our own recovery or buoyancy is affirming and transforming.

But it requires me to get out of myself – to help someone else, be absorbed by them. Not for me but for them.

Aung San Suu Kyi affirms this with this quote:

            “If you’re feeling helpless, help someone.”

It is easy to be swept up in my own problems. To me my problems are huge, up close and personal. However, when I peek outside and spot another person with a set of problems I can help with, it brings me relief and stability. It is one of the most basic lessons I ever learned from life.

I share it with you gladly this day. May you find it useful!!

November 18, 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment