Thursday, December 8, 2016

Moving Back, Yet Forward

Confusing title today! I’ll share the background and you will see why.

Fifty one years ago I took up residence in Oak Park, Illinois, directly after graduating from college (Knox College, Galesburg, Ill. 1965). I immediately joined a Congregational Church (United Church of Christ), sang in the choir and embraced the fellowship of the congregation. It was a large church but friendly and accepting. Through them I learned about Oak Park, spent many wonderful hours philosophizing about life and generally getting a great indoctrination to life as an adult.

My parents lived in upstate New York, my brother remained in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and my sister resided in Southern California. I was alone. Except I wasn’t. I had cousins in Wheaton and Morton Grove and others in Chicago. We connected and got to know each other better. In this period – 1965 to 1968 – I had my first job out of college, then my second, then got caught up in social issues and entered the seminary in fall, 1968 following the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. My Oak Park church family made this career change possible. This was a major crossroads in my life and it mattered what was to follow.

Although I left seminary after one year, I changed career paths to one of helping others. First in private industry in the Human Resources arena. Then as an Assistant Dean of Student Affairs at the University of Illinois at Chicago. There I remained for 17 years.  I shifted yet again by becoming a field consultant for the Illinois trade association for credit unions. I had been a volunteer board member, table officer and chairman of the board for many years at two employee credit unions. Now I became the creator of a professional consulting firm operated within the trade association. My territory was in Illinois, Missouri and Minnesota. After nearly 8 years there I went solo and opened my own consulting firm which I operated for 20 years until retirement. All non-profit agencies were my focus. All in the discipline of strategic planning. It was a good and interesting career.

And I continue it as a volunteer today with SCORE – Service Corps of Retired Executives – helping form small businesses and helping small businesses succeed through challenges and major change. Still helping people after all these years. And in return their work with me helps me be me.

So, after 51 years yesterday I visited an Oak Park group of volunteers forming a new non-profit focused on helping senior citizens age in community. That is, remain in their home surroundings as long as possible and build a fruitful life regardless of the changes brought on by age.

As I drove into town I sought out my old apartment homes, my church, significant other institutions, and finally the library where our meeting was to be held. The library I remembered, a one storey structure, had been razed and replaced with a four story edifice back in the 70’s. Beautiful facility and architecture that plucked the yearnings of design excellence!

As the meeting assembled and grew through its program I was struck by the earnestness of the attendees to accomplish good things together. I sensed strong commitment to the mission, but also dedication to collaborative thinking and sharing to make miracles happen. A good vibe was present then and as we adjourned later.

Sophistication was present, too. Some of the attendees were retired lawyers, agency professionals, library personnel, health care professionals and academics in both teaching and research. Issues were clearly identified. So too were goals and objectives. People stepped up to the plate to handle specific tasks. Obtaining a 501c3 designation from the IRS was such a task. So too strategic plans and organizational design issues.

This group recognizes that as life changes through aging, things become different not worse. Elders represent the community’s acquired and retained intelligence and history. They age to be better, fuller persons capable of accomplishing yet more good things in life. All the while they are teaching younger generations what is ahead for them, and the wealth of experiences they have yet to enjoy and acquire. All of this is good. Very good.

Visiting Oak Park was a going back to my roots during a very important era of my development. But it was also a very important step forward both for me as well as the group with which I was serving. We relied on each other to gain what each had. That is the secret of collaboration. It is also the secret of maturity and development.

Retaining our seniors and nurturing full rich lives to the very end is an important thing for us to do. It is also a value we should hold dear and retain. Only then can we all step forward into the future. Together.

Generations discovering fabulous futures” was a phrase that kept popping to mind. I wonder how true this will be for the group. We can hope and dream and work together. And then the future is sure to appear. How fabulous remains yet to be seen.


December 8, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment