Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The Day the TV Went Black

Two TVs in the house. One 50-inch plasma high definition model. The second one in the bedroom, a 40-in flat screen LED model. Both have good crisp pictures. Or did until I pulled the plug on the cable company (AT&T). The date was December 2, 2016.

The cable contract was over. Our $127 promo offer was over a few weeks ago, and the rate jumped to $162 plus taxes. We complained and they offered us $117 plus taxes but kept raising the non contract price by a dollar or two. Soon we were back to $132. So I called it quits.

We had called AT&T three or four times in recent weeks to seek lower costs, but then, when we learned that they had us on some contract for internet, I had to retain the internet at $30 per month, but without cable TV, the rate doubled to $60 per month until the contract runs out in July 2017. So I took the deal because there was a hefty cancellation fee associated with cutting the internet service along with TV service.

So here we are with high cost, high speed internet, no cable TV, and ROKU service via Netflix at $10 per month so we do have access to countless play backs of old TV programs. For a little extra per month we can buy subscriptions with HULU and many other streamer services, but the program is spotty and not all is in HD.

I know – and so do many of you know – that computer connections can be made to have TV service over the internet. But we don’t know how to make that connection or make it work at all. I have asked several savvy people and queried others on the internet and no one knows of a service that would help people like us get the TV programs we want without costing an arm and a leg.

We are senior citizens. I’m 73 and my partner is 72. We live solely on Social Security. I make a little extra money as an election judge, and then retain one consulting client from my past business, and earn an extra $3000 annually net of expenses. That connection will disappear next year or maybe the year after, so that money cannot be counted on.

And at our ages no one will hire us.

I write this blog. I write other posts for other organizations for a readership of 6000 monthly. I also produce minutes of organization meetings (several) and also produce concept papers from time to time to help others focus on their business opportunities. All of this work is pro bono. I do it because I can and because someone else needs it.

The blog I do for my own mental health. I need to express myself so my brain doesn’t explode.

I’ve been told many times by many different people that I have a talent or gift for writing. But still no one is willing to pay for that gift. That’s why they call it a gift, I suppose.

At any rate, the TVs are now silent. The only good things this will produce, I suspect, is a lower electric bill, more reading time, and more blessed quiet in the apartment. What comes from those improved pastimes I can only guess at. Hopefully more peace of mind and better understanding of current events. Internet will replace all of our news needs for now. And that is a considerable information flow.

For now nerves are frayed at home. I see cutting the cable cord as a necessary financial responsibility. My partner thinks I am starving him of his entertainment. Time will tell which of us is more correct.

In the meantime at least we won’t be bombarded by endless ads. Now that’s a good thing!

December 14, 2016

PS: The blackout lasted one week. We attempted an amplified antenna for both TVs and neither worked very well. Streamers continued to work OK but no current programming. On a lark we contacted our cell phone service provider and he had just acquired a franchise with Comcast for a discounted service. We visited his shop and in 8 minutes he set us up. The next day Comcast was out to our home to install cable again. It will cost $58 including taxes. So we are saving money and reconnected to the world. We gave in! I’m not proud of that but at least we have peace between the two of us for the time being. Oh, the contract runs for 2 years with no rate increases guaranteed.




No comments:

Post a Comment