Thursday, February 14, 2019

Judging Intent


We have many new women serving in Congress. Many of these are young and diverse in their ethnicity, world view, and religion. They have a lot to say. They already are voicing their ideas. Some of those ideas are poorly phrased or awkward. The core of the ideas, however, remain vital to our future.

I applaud these newcomers to our governance. I wish them well and encourage their development in process, policy and protocol. I will not judge their opinions. I will listen to them; all of them. I will fold those thoughts into my own to determine what I need to refresh in my own mind. I see this as a means of remaining relevant in a changing world.

I see others rushing to judge what these newcomers are saying. They are claiming knowledge of what these people mean and intend. I suggest they have jumped the gun and need to slow down, listen, and ask questions.

I am not anti-Semitic. Nor has anyone ever suggested that of me. I do resent how much funding we provide Israel on an annual basis. I know our two nations support one another, but I fear the current Israeli leader has often taken advantage of American resources. He has leveraged his political needs as a requirement for America to be a trusted partner with Israel. The suggestion is we are not good friends if we don’t agree with his positions. This has pulled us into some nasty international difficulties that have precluded better diplomatic solutions.

One of our new congresswomen is a Muslim, Rep. Omar; she pointed out how support in Congress is expected by an American Organization that is in lockstep with Israel. AIPEC is the group and it is a powerful PAC (political action committee). She is right. There are significant loyalties expected between Israel and America in the halls of Congress. They ought not be taken for granted. Her comments are appropriate for serious discussions going forward. Instead she is being slammed as anti-Semitic. That’s a cheap shot and unworthy of our system.

The new congresswoman has been honest in her approach and wishes a serious discussion of the issues. She deserves respect and consideration, not condemnation.

The president has suggested she resign from Congress. Given his missteps and erroneous statements, claims and exaggerations, he should resign the presidency.  Congressional leaders who mirror his sentiments on this issue are well advised to rethink their position.

Saying someone is anti-Semitic because of their ethnicity, religious beliefs, or gender, is outrageous. That was not the intent of her statements. But the heart of the subject matter deserves our full attention, and soon. Peaceful coexistence in Israel requires a peaceful solution to the plight of Palestinians. We've all known this. We allow Netanyahu to block progress in opposition to America's best interest. That's what Ms. Omar is asking us to consider.

February 14, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment