Monday, February 11, 2019

Racist or Not?


I remain surprised each time a racist comment or action is uncovered for view. I wonder if I am racist in any way. I think on these two thoughts often. Why?

I suppose I’ve learned over the decades that racism is insidious and exists even in places – nooks and crannies – we least expect it. That’s the surprise. Our society has attended to this cultural problem for a long time. I keep thinking we have it licked; we don’t. Obviously.

The ‘obviously’ troubles me. It means that I may be a racist, too. Am I?

An honest self-analysis gives me hope that I’m not a racist; then I continue to think if I’ve been too easy on myself. There’s the problem. How honest are we? I once answered a question from Jesse Jackson (Do you think you are a racist?) with ‘I don’t really know.’ He told me that’s a good answer. We don’t really know everything that is a part of racism. It hides from ourselves; we are blind to it.

That interchange happened in the late 60’s; I’ve never forgotten it.

Nor should I. I’m white, educated, and lived a strong middle-class life. I’ve had advantages people of color most likely have not. I’m not truly aware of this difference in our lives unless I think about it honestly. White privilege provides many invisible advantages we white folk take for granted. We are not aware of them. They are there none the same. We benefit from them; others do not. They feel the difference; we do not.

The difference indicates racism. I don’t embrace the difference. I understand it and recognize it when analyzed like this. Does this define me as a racist?

I don’t think so. Being aware of the difference and providing a bridge beyond it for those adversely affected by it, is a good thing. It is a positive response to racism. The latter remains a social problem because I am only one person in a moment of time recognizing this and doing something about it. Millions more need to be doing the same if we are to defeat age-old racism. Even then I don’t do this work 100% of the time. So, a crack exists in which racism can survive. Even for me.

We have programs in place to do this work for the entire state, region or nation. However, 100% of our fellow citizens don’t know, understand or support these measures. The racism battle is personal; it is fought by each of us every day. We don’t do it every day, do we? Nor are we all able to understand this all the time, or even in the same way. So, the problem continues.

The roots of racism vary from region to region and from family history to family history. Witness the 30 or 40-year-old photos unearthed of current day politicians in black face costumes or KKK apparel. What they did back then came from a social surround that made sense then; today it stands in direct conflict with our values. How far have these people come in their racial consciousness?  How internally have they adopted change in their lives? Are they racist? Or are they ‘cured?’

That’s for them to answer for themselves. It also remains for us to see them as fully human and wonder about their intrinsic sense of fairness, honesty and justice.

I feel sorry for some of these politicians, but I remain skeptical of their values until demonstrated. The question is: Have they demonstrated being a non-racist?

I wish Virginians the best in their efforts to resolve this problem among them. The rest of us should remember we have the same work to do as well. I’m thinking this work is never done.

February 11, 2019






No comments:

Post a Comment