Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Women Talent


I was asked once if I were a feminist. I pled guilty and asked ‘why not?’  I have a mother, sister, grandmothers, aunts, great aunts, a wife, daughter and now daughters in law along with granddaughters. I care about them and for them. I want the best for them.
If that is true, then how could I not be a feminist, looking out for their best interests?
I came to value a black American for President. He was elected to the position. I was immensely proud of him and grateful for his talent, worth and discharge of duties while in office. His wife, the First Lady, was an enormous credit to herself, him and the White House.
I found Hillary Clinton a credible candidate for President. She was bright, educated, experienced, and knew the ropes of the presidency. Of course I supported her candidacy. Along the way I also found myself cheering on other female candidates for elected office. I was not disappointed by any of them.
Today, we prepare for the presidential election of 2020. Many women have entered the race for the White House. All of them have talents to do a great job if they win election. All of them. They will bring something special to the office that males have not. Caring and nurturing is one dimension we have needed for a long time. I hope and trust they will provide this if they win.
I want them to win. I hope they win.
Now, another aspect of the 2020 campaign yet to happen: we need mentors and coaches by experienced, knowledgeable people to help prepare new candidates for their positions should they win office. Our current campaigns are singular competitions between individuals. It needs to be broadened.
My view is this: take the most senior, successful politicians who understand the intricate workings of government, and have them form a training team for the younger candidates. Talented potential candidates who are near or over 70 years of age, should not run, but should help the others. The political parties should select their best candidates and prepare them for leadership and modern day government management. Then let the primaries give the voters their best choice. The following election will select the finalist who will lead and nurture us.
I want women in my government and in executive roles. They are strong and aware. They are outstandingly capable to do the job. Let’s help them get there and prepare.
I like and respect Joe Biden, Chuck Schumer, Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton; but they are not the candidates for the future. That is for younger people with energy, vision and talent. We have many of these available. Let us not waste their potential. Meanwhile, thank the elders and enlist them to train and build leaders for the future.
I look forward to women and men, young and educated, black, brown and any other shade as well. This is America. Allow its greatest strengths to live and develop!
February 13, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment