Friday, February 8, 2019

Writing in the Moment


I am creating this post in real time. It’s 6 am on Friday, February 8. It has been a busy week – both for action and thinking. My mind has been focused on immediate realities, not so much long-term. Here’s a bit of my journal:

Monday: family friends I’ve been helping called to let me know their adult son was in hospital again for alcohol poisoning. The son lives in a shelter, found a job, worked it for over a month, was sober 105 days, actually put a deposit on shared space in an apartment with co-workers, then became upset, failed to show up for work, hid in a local motel, drank and turned his back to the world. Mom and dad, meanwhile, were evicted from their senior citizen apartment facility and moved to the same motel their son had chosen. One year of work with them over in a trice with no positives.

With a free day suddenly available, we continued our quest for a vehicle Rocky could enter and exit more easily than our small car. We found a used SUV but Rocky didn’t want to go into debt for a used car. We explored our Hyundai dealer’s previous offer for a lease of a similar vehicle. It took all day to arrange the transaction, but we did so successfully and affordably. We drove home in a new 2019 Hyundai Tucson SUV. Nicely equipped for old people who twist and turn easily, it is perfect for Rocky to get in and out of with Parkinson’s Disease.

Shortly after I kept my 7 pm date with the Writers Connection at the library. I read two of my recent blogs for critique. It was a fun evening after a difficult day of at the auto dealership.

Tuesday: I had an early Coumadin Clinic appointment, Rocky had an appointment with his diabetes doctor, and I had lunch with the family friends with problems reported on Monday. The hospital released the son with encouragement to continue his sobriety journey and extra meds to ease the next few days. They urged him to return to work on this very day; he did, and his boss told him to return on Wednesday to meet with him; an ominous sign. The rest of the meal we talked of what his action steps should be given the variables as they unfold. If he loses his job, he needs to find out about the apartment he has a deposit on, and whether he can get the money back. Then check if the shelter will welcome him back. Also, will shelter staff help him get a mental health assessment from a local state facility. The rest of the lunch talk focused on urging the parents to continue their search for affordable housing. I returned them to the motel with hopes that maybe they had turned a corner.

I then focused on the opening session of Nexus scheduled for 6:30 that evening. An ice storm was forecast and arrived right on time – 5:30 pm. Rush hour traffic was slow and tedious. Streets and vehicles were coated in ice. We didn’t expect a good turnout for Nexus. We were right: 5 showed up. We carried on and used the session as an organizing meeting. We are good to go and will share our decisions for all who attend in the future. Group consensus will tweak the process as we gain experience. Then home.

Wednesday: laundry, bathroom and kitchen cleaning day. Followed by grocery shopping. I wrote some blogs, caught up on internet and email traffic and took a long nap in the afternoon. My body was regaining its equilibrium from the previous two days.

Thursday: learned my family friends had encountered more trouble. The son had indeed lost his job and the apartment was not refundable even though it was related to the employment he now no longer had. The shelter did keep him housed and promised to help him with his troubles going forward. A sigh of relief in at least one corner of his life.

I continued to save my energy, bought a pair of long-needed shoes, and napped luxuriously.

Friday: here I am relating the above. I have a mentoring appointment this morning and look forward to helping my client with her business plans. Later I will learn if my family friends, the parents, have a list of apartments to visit today. Surely, one of them will accept them into their facility! We can hope.

In retirement one is not idle. The activity keeps the mind and body functioning. And so, it does. This blog is proof of that. I’ll be back on Monday.

February 8, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment