Monday, July 22, 2019

A Story


So, I’m near the end of hospital sitting with Rocky. This is the eve of the 13th day. I spent 9 days in a hotel (dreary, poor air quality, even worse bed, and groady bathroom), then moved to a free guest apartment in a lovely high rise building near the hospital.  As is normal these days, I slept soundly for 5 hours, awoke for a bathroom break at 1:07 AM. Upon rising from the commode, my left leg gave way and I fell. Flailing backward, I fell onto the toilet with a resounding thud. Part of me was on the floor, but then the water tank broke and doused me with 4 gallons of water.


Realizing what had just happened, I turned off the water to the toilet, then surveyed the mess. Water everywhere. I grabbed towels and throw rug to soak up the water. Wringing water into the wash basin, I gradually removed the water from the floor and kept if from moving out of the bathroom into the hallway, carpeting and hardwoods.


Small shards of porcelain remained on the floor and wringing out the rug and larger towels in the bathtub, I realized the morning shower was not to be. So, I went back to bed for a nap, planning, and a bit of reading.


Next time I awoke I washed my face, shampooed my hair in the sink, and freshened up as best I could. I dressed, packed and texted the building manager to explain what had happened.


I did not get cut or injured. Just some bruises to both my knee, buttock, and elbow. The ego sustained heavy bruises, too; perhaps that was the worst of the incident personally. Lord knows the cost to clean up the mess and repair the toilet.


Just an embarrassing incident. Is this karma, chance, age or what?  I doubt anyone has the answer to that question. I am trying to put this behind me. I will never get up from a toilet again without thinking of this event. I flush with the memory!


July 18, 2019




No comments:

Post a Comment