Monday, July 8, 2019

Protecting What From Whom?

When it comes right down to it, what are we protecting with nearly $800 billion dollars annually?  This is the military budget absent the cost of the CIA and many other agencies charged with the task of gathering intelligence for our country. And the costs of war are off the books, not included in the defense budget. With research contracts continuing throughout the years added into this mix, we most likely spend over $1 trillion each year on military preparedness and operations.


That’s a lot of money.


The inevitable question is: What are we protecting ourselves from?  I know the answers are multiple and serious. I know they are real threats, too, but I wonder if we don’t make more out of threats than we need to.


I ask this question to raise a point.  People are people the world over. We all struggle to live a routine life with adequate food, water, shelter, clothing, services and medical care. Enough of all these things so we can pursue whatever it is we define as happiness. Every person is engaged in this pursuit.

If that is so, why are we assuming people other than ourselves want what we have bad enough to take it away from us? Aren’t their people struggling along just like us?  Do they want our people to suffer?  Why is that?  What proof this is so?


I am a realist. But I am also an optimist. I am an optimist because in meeting, talking with and getting to know strangers, I find they are very similar to me. Our differences are cultural, maybe even theological. Both of those features make each of us strong, not weak. They are part of our identity.

These values do not preach destruction of the other. Rather, our values teach us to accept strangers, even enemies, and help them in times of sorrow and disaster. We are asked to share our humanness.

That is when I realize the stranger means me no harm. It gives me hope that people to people will bring world peace one day.


The realist in me admits history and its tales of conquest, mean spirits, destruction and behavior unfit for mankind. Yes, we have waged wars. We continue to do so. For ideological reasons more than practical ones. That is our weakness. To get mad enough to shoot rifles, bombs and missiles at someone labeled an enemy. I know that the North Koreas of the world think other nations are out to get them. I understand the Putins of the world must upset the equilibrium of his people to gain the power to control international relationships with Russia. I get it.  I think he is wrong. I think he is self-focused, not nation-focused. I think he invents strategy and tactics with a larger than life chess game. It is about saving face, being proud, and being seen as strong.


Americans want to feel strong, be proud, and save face among those who wish us ill. Beyond that level, however, Americans want peace. We do not want hegemony over the world. We do not want control over the riches of the world. We just want our place secure and safe, our loved ones happy and safe. I want my family safe. And friends. And I want the Russian people to share in these positives, too.


That point – right there – is the basis of optimism meeting realism and demonstrating that peace is possible.


Same is true within a culture. You are Catholic, I am protestant. Others I know are Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Taoist, and atheist. Many of my friends I am unaware of their belief systems. It doesn’t matter. It is not political. It is value oriented. It is personal. It is no reason for a fight among nations or peoples.

I find differences among all of us to be exciting. The world is filled with different values among its many peoples. That’s a good thing, not bad. We are different and unique unto very selves. That’s a good thing. It is not a reason to label others ‘different’ as an enemy or threat.


Yes, bad people exist. That’s why we have first responders and police departments. And yes, when times are bad, we have armies to protect and preserve the peace unto our own nation. We will even help a friend in need of support by our military to protect and preserve peaceful peoples outside our borders. Mutual defense is what this is called.


The United Nations was created to build peace; protect and preserve peace. It has accomplished it many times. It has been the place where combatant nations can air their complaints before hostilities arise. It is not a perfect institution. It is called upon to do much with a dizzying array of cultures and belief systems. It takes time to build working relationships with all those players. Sometimes peace is a needle in a haystack. The search for it is mutual and constant.


At momentous moments we need to recall what it is we are protecting and preserving. What I want for our nation is not power and riches. I want peace and community among all nations. If we truly work toward this, we might just save trillions of dollars that can be spent on other matters much more important to mankind.


Building future, not destroying it.


July 8, 2019





No comments:

Post a Comment