Friday, July 19, 2019

Sounds - Memories

When I was a fresh new resident of the Chicago area, I was 22 years old, fresh college grad and starting my first full time job. I was a native Californian (Pasadena), transplant to Massachusetts (Pittsfield), another transplant to Upstate New York (Syracuse), and then to Illinois (Galesburg) for college (Knox College). Thinking my degree would be more recognizable in Illinois, I started my career with Illinois Bell in Chicago.


I had my car (1965 Mustang), an efficiency apartment in the suburbs near the ‘L’, no family but some college friends living in the metro area. I had to learn my way around the city. I had to learn commuting patterns. My Bell job required frequent work assignment changes in order to learn more about the company. Every few weeks I worked at a different office site throughout the large metro area. I usually scouted out driving or public transportation routes on the Sunday prior to a site change. I even drove the route so I didn’t get lost the next day. This is how I was introduced to Chicago and its massive urban presence and population.


Next came knowing my home neighborhood. I learned the local stores, joined a church, and built a social life one tiny bit at a time. I was lonely for longtime friends, and of course my family. Work colleagues were not core friends for some time because that first year kept me moving to countless company sites, each time with an entirely new cast of colleagues to know.


On weekends, I drove all over the Northeastern Illinois region. My car had an AM radio and that didn’t carry the music I grew up with – classical. So, I bought an FM radio and had it installed below the dashboard. Suddenly I was reunited with my classical music. I listened to it during all my drive times. WFMT was the best classical music station, but there were two other such stations (I don’t remember their call letters, but over time they disappeared from the dial).


I especially remember listening to Bach, Beethoven and Mozart compositions. A lot of string ensembles. Often such music is unappreciated by many, but for me, it was pure heaven!  It was orderly. It stimulated thinking and feeling. It calmed my anxiety and loneliness. It was connection to my previous life.


I still listen to this music, especially in the car. It reminds me of those early days in Chicago for me.

Yesterday morning I was in Au Bon Pain for a quick breakfast in the hospital’s food court. Being here 12 days for Rocky’s pre-op, surgery and post op stay, I have felt alone and similar to the days I first stepped on Chicago’s scene. Suddenly Au Bon Pain’s sound system pushed forth some Beethoven string quartets. Sonorous. Sweeping. Full tonal ranges. Rhythmic. I was transported to another time. Suddenly it was 1965. The smells and feelings of those days rushed to mind.

All from sounds associated with a specific time. Like aroma, sound triggers memories complete with a range of feelings.


The string quartets soothed my frazzled nerves and sense of being alone. I was myself again. I was confident. I knew who I was and what was happening. All from sounds familiar and appreciated. Known and comfortable.


I associate those musical tones with many places, but this morning it was the City of Chicago. Home for the past 54 years. Yikes!

July 19, 2019


PS: Rocky is now at Marianjoy in Wheaton. More convalescence and much needed physical therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment