Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Changing Seasons


It is spring. Not winter. I know this is true.

It may be near the end of March, but I sense the shift taking place. Yes it is still freezing outdoors. Clouds still lay heavy in the sky, dark and gloomy even at midday. Wind ruffles the hair and swoops through leafless trees creating moans. Snow showers haze the road’s horizon. Snow piles still dot the edges of driveways and sidewalks. Each day starts in the dark and ends the same.

Wind chills, too, create doubts as to spring’s advent. But I have faith that spring is here. Today. Here is why I know:

  • The birds are back. Some ugly and pushy for food scraps, elbowing their way through the backyard like bullies. But so are the Robins, and wrens. Song birds are reappearing with deep throat-ed warbles. Music to our ears! 
  • The snow mounds dwindle and will soon disappear. With each sunrise they are lesser features of the landscape. Twigs and ground debris are drying out, pushed by breezes into their own drifts. 
  • IRS tax filing is just around the corner! 
  • The sun rises earlier and sets later; days are growing longer – at last! 
  • Low temperatures at night are rising at least a little; daytime temps are cool but moderating; I can sense warmer air in future days, maybe by the weekend? 
  • Winter wardrobe is too familiar and getting ratty; new shirts and jeans appeal to me 
  • Clogged closets are itching me to clear them out; and sweep out the garage! 
  • Under the leaves some grass blades are looking green, you know, the fresh green spring time hue! 
  • I am more aware of my winter pallor; sunlight warms my skin makes for a glow, the yearning for a tan 
Well, that’s it. Or at least enough for now. These harbingers of spring never fail me. Spring is here, not around the corner. Soon it will be 65 degrees or warmer with the sun feeling much warmer than that.

Being hopeful of spring is one thing. Knowing it is spring is entirely another thing. And its real. Give it a moment. You will see what I mean.

March 27, 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment