Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Foundations


Depression visits periodically. It counterpoints optimism.

Spirituality is a blessing easing the heavy moods of life.

Using one against the other works some of the time. Depression has its own pathway of course. It usually wends its way among the better feelings and moods. Navigating out of those lows takes time, work and patience. The work part is usually exercise, meditation, and getting involved with other people.

The Dalai Lama has said:

“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” 

Simple indeed. So simple that some would argue that no religion is included, or embraced! Think of it. No doctrine, dogma, ritual. No buildings. Music of course is in your own mind and will fit your mood. Bible or Koran, or Torah, or any other book from the ages that gives humankind insight.

I like the Dalai Lama’s concept. It allows me to focus on what matters. My God and I are in singular dialogue. We are focusing on what he intends and wants done. Not me. “Make me a channel…” and so forth. Perfect setting for that prayer from St. Francis Assisi. Forget understanding me, help me understand others and their needs. Peace and calm is the venue and in it much is to be discovered.

No costly cathedrals. No enormously complex and expensive pipe organs. Yet we are free to play that music, on our own instruments or in our mind’s ear. We are free to really think our theology and put it to use. No intermediaries to cloud the actions.

There is a well known prayer known as the Serenity Prayer. It is simple and goes like this:  “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” I don’t know who wrote this prayer but it is a beauty! Short and to the point. Challenging. Humorous, too.

Think about it. No way can we change everything, so seek serenity to simply accept those things. On the matters we can change, grab the courage to initiate those needed changes for the sake of others. Hopefully we will have the necessary wisdom, smarts, analytic moxie to discern what is changeable and what is not. Such are the challenges of life – especially a life well lived!

I’m reminded of a quote from Steve Jobs. Perhaps you’d appreciate seeing it at this point:

“The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.”

Doing what I love to do. That’s when work ceases being work. The mind is focused and the efforts are fruitful. My mood is contagious and attracts positive support. Others cooperate with the task and objective. The motivation is not troubled, but spontaneous.

Also, change that is manageable becomes possible. The Serenity Prayer is given a chance without our thinking of it.

So if I’m stymied today, refocus and fight depression. Fight feelings of helplessness or even hopelessness. Move on to the task that is doable. Find others to help with the task. And enjoy labors of love.

The Dalai Lama would be pleased!

March 6, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment