Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Justice and Values


Recently the pastor of my church commented that I write because I have to – not for money or prestige, but for the saying of ideas as they are created, to keep order in my mind, etc. You get the idea.

I thought about that for several days. Once when we had started a local newspaper and I was reporting in it weekly, writing columns of the same frequency, and pulling together information from dozens of writers, I encountered a publishing problem which forced me to quit the paper on principle. For nearly 2 months I did not have a single thought published. And it weighed heavily on my mind!

It took some weeks before I realized I had the need to write and to share the writing with others. The public act, by the way, is not an ego thing. It is an accountability concept. If my thoughts are worthwhile, they must be logical and well thought out. If not they will collapse upon themselves. I will be held up to ridicule. I will be accountable for what I think and write.

Thinking alone in one’s mind has but only the inner accountability. Exposure to the public creates a much more demanding standard of performance for the writer. One is serious; the other is musing.

When the local group of volunteers proposed creating our own newspaper without the offending publisher, I jumped at the opportunity. We've been at it for nearly 5 years now on our own. And I was able to resume regular published writings.

Along the way I created this blog – second anniversary is October 4, 2013. The blog started out as a 7-day per week update but now is 5 days per week with a Saturday Thought for the Day offering. Nearly 500,000 words have been published here, almost enough for 3 books!

Yes I am compelled to write and to give my thoughts to readers in an open marketplace of ideas. Mulling over the meaning of life is one thing, but more importantly is the need to draw attention to needs within our society that require consideration and assistance.

Like this one:  Norman Mailer, author (1923-2007) had this thought to share:

“To blame the poor for subsisting on welfare has no justice unless we are also willing to judge every rich member of society by how productive he or she is. Taken individual by individual, it is likely that there’s more idleness and abuse of the government favors among the economically privileged than among the ranks of the disadvantaged.”

Think about it. We all pay for the infrastructure used by those who develop wealth for themselves, yet they claim they do not use the wealth of the land to create their own wealth. Instead they claim they put their own assets at risk to create jobs for others. The truth is very much in between.

And let us not forget that labor hired by those same capitalists spend their earnings buying their employers goods, keeping the cycle alive and well.

This quote is apt at this point:

“If you want people off welfare, make minimum wage high enough to bring them out of poverty.”  ~Living Blue in a Red State

Amen! I am all for capitalism but its engine is fueled by personal greed. It needs temperance to be just and fair. That’s where the conscience of a nation needs to stand up both in its charity and governance.

Oh when will that be?

Lest we forget this basic principle, here’s what President Obama said recently:

“The arc of the moral universe may bend toward justice, but it does not bend on its own.”

September 3, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment