Saturday, September 7, 2013

Thought for the Day


Letting Go

The burdens we carry throughout life are very real to us. Often we don’t know their true dimension until they are gone.

I remember once becoming aware of a dental problem. My lower gum ached a little. Sometimes it throbbed, usually while doing some heavy lifting. My tongue explored the area of the mouth little by little over the days and weeks and months.

One day I was aware that one of my molars was extremely sensitive. I realized I was in pain. So the dentist was called, in I went for an examination and x-ray. He diagnosed a dying root and a root canal was in order. I winced and dragged my feet.

Months later I surrendered and called my dentist and asked him to schedule the procedure. Within a week the gruesome and dreaded work was done.

During the procedure I became aware of a lightness having nothing to do with the anesthetic. I asked the endodontist if he had ‘tapped’ the abscess. He reported yes.

Later as I lived my new life without pain (!) I realized how much pain had accumulated without my knowing it. Only when it was gone did I realize how much discomfort I had become used to.  How strange.

Tackling the problem was the trick. Putting it off was the problem.

I found this quote on the internet the other day:

“Sometimes you don’t realize the weight of something you’ve been carrying until you feel the weight of its release.”  -Anonymous

How very true! Think about that this weekend.

September 7, 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment