Monday, April 7, 2014

Cleaning House


I’m a neat freak. Not a clean one. Just neat. I don’t mind dust. I do mind dirt and wear and tear. I like things serviceable, pleasant in appearance, and well-thought out.

I prefer to keep things neat and tidy bit by bit as I encounter them. I detest cleaning projects although when done with them I do feel a lot better! Knowing your bedroom is clean of dust from under the bed, accumulated head hair behind the bed, and dust and settled dirt is wiped clean from the window sills, makes me feel clean and sparkly. A simple vacuuming and dusting doesn't quite do it for me, although I know it helps.

So I nitpick my way around the house tidying it. If someone were to drop in it would look good.

Well now, I have a confession to make. You see, we got this dog 5 years ago. She was a life saver for us back then and continues to be to this day. But the price we paid for being saved was high.

Willow is beautiful, cute and cuddly. She is also an 8-year old rescue dog. She was nearly feral when rescued from an abusive home. At that point in her life she pooped and peed where she felt the need to. It took time and patience to break her of this practice and we were successful. However, the new carpeting took a hit and never was rescued. The stains were permanent and hideous in the living room, dining room, bedroom and office. So bad were these stains that we covered them with area rugs, and considered replacing the carpet with hard wood floors.

We didn't get around to that. Finances wouldn't allow this so we got used to living in a stained environment. We were not comfortable allowing guests to see this horror so we became recluses in our own home. We got used to the mess and allowed cleaning chores to slide. We procrastinated.

Eventually only a major cleaning and renovation project would save the interior décor. And of course that was not to be as we lost the home to foreclosure and bankruptcy. We vacated the home and moved to fresh space.

Now my neat and tidy phase has kicked in again. The new home is clean, bright and well organized. Still too much stuff for a small space so we continue to weed out and toss stuff. But clean we are and ready for visitors!  For the first time in at least two years, maybe three. Now we clean the house each day, at least a part of it.

Used to be that I scheduled a house cleaning but was deterred by some phone call or other errand. Not much was accomplished. But now, I’m back to a behavior of yesteryear: housecleaning as aerobic exercise, a little done each day. More controlled body fat AND a clean house.  What could be bad about that?

So far the dog has respected our new space and behaved herself. Accidents will happen, I know, but for now we are good. And we mean to keep it that way.

So, a new place, a new regime of activity and a fresh environment. May it always be so!

April 7, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment